55. Help

Eden

"Did you check the link I sent you? What the fuck?" Brynn answered, not even taking the time to greet me. Her voice echoed through the bathroom as I sat on the cold tile floor, trying to stay near the toilet in the event I threw up again. The fact that I could barely move didn't help either. "Eden? Hello?" She called out when I didn't respond.

"Brynn." I croaked out, my voice raw and sore from the sickness and the crying.

"Jesus, Eden? Are you okay?"

"I don't know." I laughed. "I feel awful, and then I read that article. I don't know what to do or what to think."

"You sound like shit, babe; I'm sorry. Side effects?" She asked.

"I guess so. I didn't think they'd be this bad. My whole body is aching, my head hurts, and I've thrown up three times now." I whined.

"And you're all alone in that damn hotel room. They aren't even there taking care of you through this shit. They don't fucking deserve you." She growled. "I'm flying out; this is ridiculous. Where the fuck is Reed?"

"Will you calm down? You know he's with his sister, and he may not even be talking to me anymore after that article. What if he believes it, Brynn? What if he thinks the worst of me?"

"He can at least call and check on you. If he believes even one sentence of that article, then he isn't the guy I thought. I just booked tickets for Tate and me. We'll be there by dinner time." She stated firmly.

"Brynn, seriously?"

"Not up for discussion; we're coming."

*

I managed to crawl back to the bed; every movement felt like pins and needles in my bones. I lay there holding my phone, reading the article repeatedly. I couldn't figure out who would've told the story for the life of me. Who knew this many details to make up such lies?

I dozed on and off throughout the rest of the day, feeling exhausted from the injection side effects and emotional worry. I hadn't heard from Reed at all. No call, no text, nothing. I knew he was busy with Lizzie, but he had to have heard about this by now, and it hurt so bad that he hadn't checked in with me.

It was late in the evening, and I hadn't heard from anyone. I sat all alone on the edge of the bed. Finally, with an aching body and broken heart, I managed to get up to prepare for the second injection of the day. As I was scooting around to get the supplies, there was a loud bang at the door. I paused for a moment, surprised even though I knew Brynn and Tate were on their way. But I didn't remember giving her my room number. A part of me wished that it was Reed, that somehow he had shown up here to see me, talk to me, be with me.

I pulled the door open and saw my best friend and her fiance.' Immediately I broke down; I was tired of being strong and tired of being alone and so incredibly thankful she had shown up here.

"Oh, Eden." She grabbed me in her arms, holding me up as Tate brushed passed us into the room. "Come on, let's get you over here to the bed. You need to sit."

"Do you need anything? Some lemon-lime soda, ginger ale?" Tate asked, watching me, his face full of concern. I couldn't respond because I was crying so hard, my body was shaking. So I just shook my head. I appreciated that he was here as well.

"Shhhh. It's okay." Brynn held on to me, letting me cry into her until I couldn't cry anymore.

"I'm so sorry." I sniffled.

"Do not apologize. You've been so strong this whole time; you're allowed to break down."

"What is this?" Tate asked, motioning over to the injection supplies on the table.

"Oh, I actually need to do that. It's the injection."

"You do it yourself?" He exclaimed, scrunching up his face.

"Yes."

They shook their heads, keeping their thoughts on this issue to themselves. I appreciated it at the moment; I was too tired to defend my decision again.

"Thank you guys for coming." I stood to get the injection and gave Tate a quick hug.

"Of course, you're my unofficial sister, and Brynn was coming with or without me." He softly spoke as he held me in his arms.

"Have you heard from Reed?" I squeaked out. Scared of his answer, either he hadn't heard from him at all, or he had, which meant he was ignoring me. Tate shook his head in the negative. He had a sullen look on his face.

"I can't believe he hasn't called you!" Brynn stated. "Tate, you wanna go take our things to our room, maybe get some food and some things for Eden?" Brynn suggested.

"Of course. I'll be back in a bit." He quickly kissed me on the forehead before kissing Brynn and heading out the door with their bags.

"Do that damn injection; get it over with so we can talk." Brynn gestured toward the needle. I obliged her request as she watched me with fascination. "Do you feel strong enough for a shower or a bath?"

"Maybe a bath."

"Okay, we're gonna get you in a bath, fresh pajamas, and I'll straighten up your bed. Do you need me to call housekeeping?"

"No, I made it to the bathroom the last time. I could use the hot bath, though."

Brynn was up and in the bathroom, getting things ready for me as soon as the words were out. Then, I managed to gather clean clothes and my toiletries. I grabbed my phone off the nightstand, checking for messages or calls. I replied to Gemma, who had been a sweetheart and checked in on me daily. Bennett had also checked in, letting me know he was thinking of me and working to take care of the nasty article.

There was even a text from Lizzie. It was a picture of her lying in her bed; all snuggled up. She said she missed me and wanted me to call her tomorrow. I couldn't help but tear up again because there was nothing from Reed.

"What's wrong?" Brynn asked, ducking her head out of the bathroom.

"Nothing. Just checking my messages, or lack of." I shrugged.

"Why don't you call him?" She suggested.

"I don't want to be a bother, and honestly, I'm scared." I wiped away the tears as she sat next to me.

"Scared of what, babe? She pulled me to her, wrapping her arm around me. "If he believes anything in that trash article, he's a moron. So I'm giving him today, and if he doesn't reach out to you, then I'm going to..."

"Nothing. You're not going to do anything. It is what it is, we're both dealing with a lot right now, and then you throw this shit on top of it; of course, it's going to cause a bump."

"Bump," Brynn grumbled, standing up and reaching to help me stand. "Come on, you're going to relax in a bath, and then once Tate returns, we'll settle you into bed."

"Thanks, Mom and Dad." I rolled my eyes standing, doing my best to hold it together. As soon as Brynn left me alone in the bathroom, I let it out. I leaned back in the tub and just let the tears flow. I had my pity party of one, getting it out and getting it over.