24. Waiting

Reed

It had been several days since I texted Eden. I hadn't heard a peep. I had been busy with the season getting into full swing, and we were heading out tonight for a three-day stretch of away games. I didn't want to push Eden, but I couldn't stand this much longer. It was killing me. She had such a hold on me from the start, then the non-stop texting and talking when I was back home. I missed her; I missed her a lot.

"Still no word?" Hugh asked when he came in from work. I shook my head as I sat in the living room, watching game reels. "I saw Nick today." I turned quickly at his words. That slime ball had purposely avoided me, knowing he would most likely get his face pounded in.

"Lucky you," I grumbled.

"He um, fuck. He said he was dating her." Hugh opened a beer as he walked toward me.

"You're fucking with me?" I stood up, not sure what I was planning to do. Bennett came down the hall carrying his bags, giving us both a confused look.

"What's going on?"

"That girl, she's dating Nick now." Hugh sat sipping his beer as if this was nothing. "At least that's what Nick says."

"What? No way." Bennett laughed, though he immediately stopped when he looked over at me. "Fuck."

"Are you ready?" I barked at him, stalking to my room to grab my bag. We were heading to the stadium to catch the team bus to the airport.

Once we loaded up on the bus, Bennett moved to sit next to me. I could feel myself tense, knowing he would try and bring up the subject again as he had in the car. I was silent the whole drive and intended to ride along in silence for the rest of our travels.

"Dude, I have no idea when it happened, but I really hate having to be the mature one in this friendship." He started, turning his hat backward and stretching in the seat. I kept my gaze on the front of the bus as we continued down the highway. "We need to talk about this; it can't be eating at you and fuck up the game. You know there's no way she's dating Nick. He's the biggest douche."

"I appreciate what you're doing; I do. I just don't want to talk about it right now." I sighed, feeling the heaviness in my chest that had been there since I saw Eden walking up the stadium steps.

"Fine." He huffed, twisting his hat around, lowering it over his face, and quickly falling asleep. The big lug was worse than a kid sometimes. I did appreciate that he was trying to help, but his words weren't going to do the trick right now.

*

Two road games down, one more to go. Two more wins on record. The guys were all hyped from the win as we headed back to the hotel. This season was turning out to be pretty good, despite how the first game went. Despite the emotional turmoil that stormed inside my head and heart, I was playing at my best.

"We're going to the bar across the street; you in?" Bennett asked as we walked down the hall toward our room. Since signing at the same time, we'd managed to room together as often as possible. "Please say you're in; you need some fun."

"Fine, I'll go. Just for a bit, maybe."

After a hot shower and a fresh change of clothes, we walked to the bar across from our hotel. It was a weeknight but still pretty busy despite that. We immediately drew attention, as we often did when going out as a group. Taking over the back section of the bar, we ordered a round and started bullshitting with each other. A few guys were setting up a game of pool while others were mingling and flirting. I sat, people, watching while sipping my favorite Canadian beer they happened to have on tap.

I pulled out my phone, deciding to text Tate. We had texted a few times since I got the new phone. I tried not to bug him about Eden, partly because I knew he wouldn't give me any information. I hadn't been able to stop thinking about what Hugh had said before we left, though, and I had to ask.

R: Hey man, what are you guys up to tonight?

I didn't want to start the conversation asking for info immediately, but I sucked at this situation. So I took another swig from the beer, waiting for his reply.

"This is my buddy, Reed," Bennett spoke as he stepped toward the table, a lady on each arm. "Reed, this is Brooke and this." He motioned to the brunette on his left arm. "Is Chantal."

"Evening." I tipped my beer to them with a polite smile. I couldn't help but be impressed with how quickly Bennett found a lady friend for the evening.

"Brooke here needs a dance partner." Bennett raised his brows at me with a pleading smile.

"I don't dance."

"C'mon, man."

"You're welcome to join me in sitting, but no dancing." I laughed, trying not to hurt the girls' feelings. She seemed happy enough with what I offered and scooted into the booth across from me. Bennett quickly took the opportunity to hit the dance floor with the brunette.

"Sorry, I'm just not much of a dancer." I shrugged.

"It's fine. I'm not really either. Chantal forced me to come out; I'm more of a people watcher also." Brooke smiled. She was a pretty woman, but not Eden's level of beauty.

My phone buzzed on the table, and I quickly grabbed it. I saw Tate's message waiting for me as Brooke raised a brow at me, watching as I opened the message.

T: I'm at Brynn's; she's chatting with your girl.

R: About?

T: The birds and the bees. What do you think? She's been moping around here. Brynn's checking on her before we go out.

R: Is she dating Nick?

I finally had the nerve just to throw it out there. Why would she be moping if she had decided to start dating him?

"If I'm interrupting, I'll gladly step away," Brooke spoke softly.

"Oh no, I'm sorry. I'm having some issues with a woman, and I'm, well, I don't know what I'm doing." I sighed.

T: She is not dating him, Jesus. Just talk to her.

R: I'm at a bar, talking to another woman about her. It's bad. I just want to give her space right now. No pressure.

I put my phone into my pocket, getting the temporary relief knowing that she wasn't dating Nick. After that, Brooke and I sat chatting for a while, Bennett kept busy with her friend, and the other guys would come and go. After a bit of light-hearted getting to know each other and a few extra beverages, I told her about Eden. I had already made it clear I had no interest in any kind of hookup, and then I explained that I was pining for someone who didn't want anything to do with me. Who could possibly be dating the biggest dick I'd ever met. She listened to me ramble, offered some advice, and wished me well in getting her back before the evening was over. As if I ever really had her in the first place.

We all made our way back to the hotel, some with friends to keep them company for the night. Bennett was one of those. When this happened, and it usually happened a lot, I bunked with one of the other guys. I had no interest in seeing or hearing anything that went on with Bennett and his cleat chaser.

Thanks to the beers and the exhaustion of the game, I passed out pretty quickly in one of the other guys' rooms. The last thought, of course, was Eden, which had become a regular occurrence lately.