Chapter 4.3: Confession?

Early Morning, I had just come out of the shower and currently, I was in the living room sipping a cup of coffee. Yesterday, I had a long conversation with my so-called childhood friend, Arisu. It was the very first time that I had been disturbed over something trivial. My mind was conflicted because I couldn't come to understand the abstract concept of human emotions. It had been agonizing for me that I could barely sleep last night.

For breakfast, I decided to eat something very light but filling, a toast with peanut butter alongside a protein shake.

After I finished my breakfast, I took out my phone and contacted a friend.

-Satou, are you up?

a couple of minutes later, a notification popped up on my phone.

-Yeah

-I want to talk to you about something, can I call you?

-Sure

"What do you want to talk about that you had to call me so early in the morning?" Satou's voice sounded like someone who had just gotten out of bed.

"Actually, I want to ask you about something..."

"Huh, what is it? Don't tell me that you have fallen in love with me and wanted to ask me out?" Unlike before, her voice was suddenly filled with the usual enthusiasm.

"Sorry but that's not the case. I want you to teach me about human emotions."

"Hahahahaha!! Dude what the heck was that!! The day had just started and here I am hearing you spit out ridiculous stuff."

"..."

"Listen, Ayanokouji, don't say stuff like that ever again, especially to girls, they might misunderstand you and thought you were asking them out."

"But you didn't, though."

"That's just because I'm already used to you being weird all the time."

"Sorry, I'm just not good with these kinds of things."

"Hey, Ayanokouji, did you have a very nasty childhood?"

"Sorry, I'm not really comfortable talking about my past, but you could put it that way."

"It's alright, that's completely normal. People sometimes have secrets that they want to keep just for themselves."

"Well considering you, I won't be surprised if you were part of some government experiment and were raised in a lab in the middle of nowhere."

In the last couple of months, I had grown really close to Satou. Even though sometimes she would tease me, she always tried to understand me and gave me advice.

Is this what you call a friend?

"Back to the topic. So, you want to understand human emotions, you say?"

"Yeah, in the last couple of months. I've been trying to analyze it and finding various ways to understand the concept of it. But I just couldn't, I feel like it was too abstract and every time I thought I understood something, more questions popped out and it just got even more confusing."

"You know Ayanokouji, even though you completely aced the math exams yesterday, you could be really stupid sometimes."

"..."

"You see, understanding each other is not like solving a math equation. There's no right or wrong answer. Heck, I don't even think that you can fully understand this thing you called 'Human emotions'."

"So what should I do, then?"

"To be honest, there's no one 'best way' to do it, I guess try to interact with people and just try not to think too much about it. Just go with the flow and you'll unconsciously get better at it."