Chapter 7.3: I Swear It's Just a Fluke

It was early in the morning, I had just woken up and was fiddling with my phone when a notification suddenly popped up.

Who could it be? It's still 4:30 in the morning.

It turned out that it was from Chiaki. It was a surprise, but a welcomed one nevertheless.

-Kiyotaka, you're already up, right?

-Yeah I just got out of bed, what's up?

-Can I come to your room?

-I don't really mind... But what do you want to do in my room so early in the morning?

-It's embarrassing... I'll tell you in person, please make sure that you've unlocked your door.

How suspicious, just what in the world is she trying to do?

I unlocked the door and went to the kitchen to serve some tea.

As I was about to put the cups on the table, the door opened and I could see Chiaki in her sportswear.

"Please stop staring at me..." She said timidly.

"Sorry... It's just that I've never seen you wear this."

She wasn't in our usual school tracksuit. Instead, she wore a white short-sleeved tee and black shorts, with her long brown hair tied to a ponytail.

"The internet says that this is the best outfit to go running."

"So, I assume we're going to train for the marathon?"

"Yeah. Since you're so good at literally everything, I don't think helping a girl train for a marathon wouldn't be a huge problem, yes?"

"I guess I'm a little bit good at long-distance running."

"A little? I don't know if you're just being humble or bragging."

"Please have a cup of tea first, it's still hot."

We were now at one of the school tracks. There weren't that many people, but the amount was noticeably more than usual.

"So Chiaki, do you have any prior experience before?"

"If you count the mandatory running held annually since elementary school then yes."

"I see..." I forgot that Japanese schools held annual 'marathons' yearly at the end of the year.

"I haven't run in a while, though."

"For now, let's do some stretching first." 

This was often overlooked by most people. Stretching actually makes your muscles looser, thus making them able to exert more performance.