Chapter 4.4: Final Preparations

June 8th, After School.

Today at 17:00 was the due date to submit your encrypted message to the teachers. Yesterday, I submitted my message to Chabasira-Sensei. I intentionally made it moderately difficult so as not to raise suspicions. My message consisted of several 3x3 vectors, with each vector containing one letter. To decrypt the message, one must find the eigenvalue of each vector.

I had been thinking for the last few days about how the school would assign students to a group. I had tried several possibilities, but I came to the conclusion that it would be completely random. Well, it's not like I plan to tell anyone in the case of me successfully cracking the algorithm though.

Two days later

I was about to ride down the elevator when a familiar tone suddenly came out from my phone. It was the tone reserved for the school when there are special announcements. I put out my phone and saw the message:

This is an announcement of the division of groups on the Special Exam that will be held tomorrow. You have been assigned to group 9. Your group will consist of the following names:

Class A:

Kamuro Masumi

Totsuka Yahiko

Class B:

Amikura Mako

Shibata Sou

Class C:

Ishizaki Daichi

Shiina Hiyori

Class D:

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka

Matsushita Chiaki

Tomorrow at 5 A.M., all students from the first year will be ordered to assemble at the gymnasium for a briefing. Late attendance will not be tolerated.

After looking at the list of names, I concluded that my previous assumption about the group assignment was right. I proceeded to head down to the lobby. In the lobby, I saw a familiar-looking girl waving at smiling at me.

It's the girl from the library. 

"Hey, I think we've met before. You're Ayanokouji-Kun, right?"

"Yeah. I saw you reading some books in the library a few days ago. By the way, how did you know my name? I believe we've never talked to each other before."

"Don't be silly Ayanokouji-Kun, every first-year in the school already knows your name. You're actually quite famous, you know?"

"Sigh..."

We then started walking side by side, silence ensued for a few moments before she continued:

"By the way, do you like to read, Ayanokouji-Kun?"

"You could say that I've been reading books as far as I remember. Lately, I've been getting into romance novels."

"Ohh... So that's why you were reading Romeo and Juliet the other day. That's a very famous piece."

So she noticed me, I thought she was completely immersed in her reading that she didn't notice her surroundings. Looks like I made a wrong judgment.

"Is that so?"

"Wait... Don't tell me you've never heard of the tale 'Romeo and Juliet' before you found that book?"