Chapter 8.1: The Sports Festival - Part 0

"And so, I will officially begin the 13th sports festival of the Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School."

"Before we start the events, I have an announcement to make."

He then paused for a brief moment, catching the attention of the remaining students who were still busy with themselves.

"Unlike last year, this sports festival is a little bit different. Except for the relay race, students will only compete among their years. Nevertheless, this doesn't rule out the possibility of cooperation between students from different years to exist, since, in the end, you are part of a team with a common goal."

"Also, to make sure that we can squeeze all of the events in one single day, Multiple events will be held at the same time among various locations throughout the school,  the details should have been sent through your phones."

The students then started checking their phones, the message contained a simple list of the events which contains the time and location.

"Make sure to submit the list of participants 10 minutes before the start of each event, you may now proceed with the sports festival. The relay race will begin today at 4:20 PM, please come back here by 4:00 PM." He then stepped down from the podium.

It was still 7:20 in the morning, and the first events would commence in 40 minutes, so most of the students were minding their own businesses, some girls were seen talking to each other while the more athletic people were stretching.

But something suddenly caught several students' attention, me included.

A bunch of students could be seen a little bit further from the school track. They were setting up something that seemed to be a makeshift headquarters. It was very well planned and organized. Food, water, and medical supplies were neatly put in boxes, above them were tents to protect everyone from the shade. Some people could even be seen operating computers. Not far from there, a bunch of students was lining up for something.

But to be able to organize something as massive as this must have required tremendous effort. First, you need to have the cooperation of students who'd volunteer themselves in setting up the base of operations. Then, there's the cost of buying all of the items, it must've amounted to tens of thousands if not more than one hundred thousand points. Whoever is in charge of this whole operation must be someone very influential.

"Oi! If you are from the read team, please gather over here!" Shouted one guy, he looked like a senpai.

His actions caused most of the students to flock to the makeshift base. Some students were hesitant at first, but seeing that most of their counterparts were following the senpai's order, they followed soon.

During the battle of Cannae, the Carthaginian forces led by Hannibal Barca were able to defeat the numerically superior Romans. Hannibal had intentionally placed his lower quality troops at the center of his ranks, while he put the more elite and experienced troops on both flanks. 

This resulted in a wedge forming at the battleline since the poorer quality troops retreated backward while the elite troops were able to hold their own. As a result, the flanks of the Roman army collapsed and soldiers soon retreated, seeing that their comrades were fleeing, more soldiers soon joined the fleeing forces. A slaughter then ensued after that. It was believed that Rome lost a quarter of its male population at that time.