35. Empty Hearts.

***Mayra's POV.***

"That can't be true. How did you come to know about-" Shaurya goes to say and she interrupts him.

"Your lawyer sold out at a pretty cheap price." She says.

"What would you get out of all this Priya?" Shaurya asks.

"Everything." She says.

"You will lose again. I will make sure of it." Shaurya says.

"We will see. I am going to meet Simi and her daughter till then pack Veer's bag. I am taking him with me." She says.

I was silent all this time but after hearing that I panic, "You can't. He is my son."

"I gave birth to him. So how come he is your son?" She asks.

"No, she is his mother. And you can't take him with you. The case has yet to start and till then I have Veer's primary custody." Shaurya says as he comes to stand between Priya and me and his words give me little relief.

"Well, that is true. But I got orders from the court. Veer will stay with me till the results from the case arrive." Priya says give us the third envelope.

How could I forget trouble comes in three?

"Is it true, Shaurya?" I ask him as he reads the letter.

His jaw is clenched as he looks at Priya and says, "It is true."

"So I hope you will be ready." She says and leaves from there but I stop her.

"You can't be serious, Priya. Veer doesn't know you. How do you think he will adjust with you? He would get upset and even throw tantrums. Let him stay with us." I say.

"I warned you about this. You got way too attached to a child which isn't even yours to begin with. But I have made my decision. Pack his bags." She says and turns to leave.

I go after her but Shaurya grabs my arm to stop me and says, "It is fruitless. She won't back down."

"But we can't let her take Veer. He would distrubed by all these." I say.

"Let me talk to the judge." He says and goes to make a call.

"Mumma, no." Veer says and wipes my tears which I didn't even realize were there.

"Oh, Veer." I say and hug him close.

I go upstairs to my room and lock it. Then pat his back so he can fall asleep all the while keeping him close. As I sit on the bed, I feel dread by the fact of him going away to an unknown place. He would get confused and would cry all the time.

How could Priya do something like this? She should have known how difficult it would get for Veer to be between unfamiliar people. I don't know for how long I sat there holding Veer in my arms but when the knock came on the door, I made my decision.

"Mayra, open the door." Shaurya says softly.

I put Veer on the bed and kiss his head then go to the door and ask, "First tell me. Does Veer have to go with Priya?"

The silence on the other side of the room is frightening.

"Mayra, please open the door." He says.

"No, first answer the question." I say.

"Mayra..." He says.

"No. I won't let her take him away. How could she think that she could waltz in here and take my son away from me. I don't care what those papers say. He is mine. He calls me Mumma. He loves me. And he calls you Dadda. How do you think he would live without us there, Shaurya? Tell me. No He is not going anywhere." I say.