38. Welcome Home.

***Mayra's POV.***

"He is doing okay for now. His fever has gone down, but as his fake mother said, he puked everything he ate. So it would be better if he only eats light things like fruit or drinks its juice or some plain dal rice. Or porridge would be fine, too." Anu says, and I nod.

"Thank god you were here." I say.

"Oh, Mayra." Anu says and hugs me. "I am glad I am here but definitely not for this. I was going to surprise you today, but instead I got surprised. Seriously, when were you going to tell me?"

"I just didn't get a chance to tell you." I say.

"And she was not feeling well either." Shaurya says.

"What? Is it true?" Anu asks me.

"No, I am fine now." I say, "But how come you are here?"

"I was here to meet Mom and also to visit this hospital. I used to be an intern here and also a top one at that." She says.

"Is he going to be okay?" Shaurya asks as he caresses Veer's head.

"Yes. He would be fine but I am warning you both that he should not be sent that woman. Even though she is his biological mother, it should be Veer's choice with whom he wants to live with. Guys, this type of thing could really affect a child's mental health too. This is not good." Anu says.

"I know. But what can we do? It was the court's order." Shaurya says, with a clenched fist and I put my hand on his to calm him down.

"Don't worry. Even doctors have some rights more than the courts." Anu says.

"What do you mean?" I ask, confused.

"Simple. We will call the psychologist and if her evaluation says that Veer should live with you for his better health nobody can go against that. Also our words hold validation too." Anu says.

"Really?" I ask.

"Yes." She says, "You stay here, I'll get the permission and all the necessary forms for you."

"Thank you, Anu." I say.

"Shut up. I am doing this for my that baby." She says pointing at Veer then at me, "And also this one too."

She kisses my head and then goes out. I turn to Shaurya who takes me in his arms as we watch over Veer's sleeping form. Shaurya makes a call to our family and I ask Mom to make the sabudana porridge which would give Veer some energy and would be easy to digest too.

A nurse comes in to remove Veer's IV which rehydrated him. Shaurya holds his hand as he winces and wakes up a little.

"Hey, buddy." Shaurya says.

"Dadda?" He asks in confusion.

"Yes, Veer. I am right here." Shaurya says.

"Mumma?" He says as he looks around.

"He woke up, Mom. I'll call you later." I say and rush to his side, "I am here."

The nurse backs away and Veer grabs my arms in his hands tightly and says, "Mumma bad."

"Mumma is bad, Veer and so sorry to let you go. You can punish her if you want." I say and hold my ear with my fingers as tears roll down my cheek.

Veer tugs me down and wraps his arms around my neck and says, "My Mumma."

I take him in my arms and sob out in relief that he isn't that upset with me. Shaurya sheds some tears too and takes us both in his embrace. We stay like that for how long we don't know but then the nurse taps on my shoulder.