Kabanata 57

"You are going to marry this woman."

My eyebrows met when I heard what Dad said. I picked up the picture he threw at the table.

"What woman? Where is the woman here?" I asked him, confused.

Maybe he is mistaken. The person in the picture is no woman. It's a kid.

"If you're thinking that I am mistaken, Diego, then I am not. Siya talaga ang pakakasalan mo."

I looked at my Dad, disgusted.

"Dad, I don't wanna be in the hands of Bantay Bata, okay?" I throw him back the picture of the kid he wants me to marry.

He laughed at what I said but I remained serious. I am not kidding. The girl in the picture looks 13 or 14.

"Fine. I'll give you a month to think about it. In that month, you can stalk or follower her to know her more." He winked at me and then get out of my office.

Stalk her? Follow her? To know her more? What would I need to do if I were not going to marry her? What's the use?

Napahinga ako ng malalim. I didn't mind what Dad said and continued my work but minutes later after Dad left, another person entered my office without knocking.

"Hey, are you busy later? Wanna join me for dinner?"

Hindi ko siya pinansin. I am so done with her flirty moves.

"Hey, I am asking you. Don't be so rude to your ex."

"Ex," I said without looking at her.

I just emphasized the word ex for her to know that she was just part of my past.

"Diego, can we not be together again? I mean, I still love you and I know you still have feelings for me. Come on, sasayangin mo lang ba ang apat na taon natin?"

I stopped working and I looked at her.

"Was I the one who threw everything? Was I the one who forget about our four years relationship and find another man? Ako ba?" I glared at her.

Natigilan siya sa sinabi ko at napaatras. Napakurap-kurap siya na mukhang naiiyak na.

"Get out. I don't wanna see you cry. Such a dramatic person."

I know it was rude but if it is the only way to make her stay away from me then I'll do it. Yes, I still have feelings for her but she cheated. Not once but twice. I am so done.

That day, I focused on my work. 5 pm came and I am readying to go home when I received a text from Dad.

I have decided. You'll marry her.

Nag-init ang ulo ko kaya naibato ko ang cellphone ko. Ano ba ang plano nila at kailangan pang pakasalan ko ang batang 'yon?

Because of Dad's decision, I am forced to stalk and follow her for a month. She's not that bad. She has a face that can make a man follow her in just a snap. And she's innocent and so kind.

She's an ideal and a keeper but we're not compatible. I also discovered that she's not 13 or 14. She is turning 18 already. She's just small for her age.

It was the last day of the month. Huling araw rin ng pangs-stalk ko sa kaniya. I felt so bad for stalking her. She's just a kid.

"Hoy, Selena, mukha kang garapata alam mo 'yon?"

Napataas ang kilay ko ng harangan siya sa gate ng mga babaeng mas matangkad sa kaniya. Mag-isa lang siya laban sa tatlo na nasa harap niya.

"Garapata?" Her voice is so soft and it makes me want to hear more of her voice. Cute.