Youth

{Dedicated to @GloomyGenderlessSoul , happy birthday! I hope that this is satisfactory for the fluff that I promised you. I love you lots, thank you for all of your continued support and listening to all of my random Drarry ideas that I get 24/7, quite literally.}

Draco should have realized that "just being friends" with Harry, no Potter he reminded himself, would never work out. Really, what did he think would happen? After all, Potter was always the one who knew exactly which buttons to push to make Draco absolutely mad. He was also the one who accepted that Draco was trying to be better, and gave him a chance to move past their horrid shared history.

Harry gave Draco chances that he just knew were undeserved, and the absolute last thing he ever wanted to do was disappoint the other man. So, Draco worked tirelessly to become the man his mother always hoped he would be. Gone were the stuffy suits and masked expressions, replaced by laugh lines, freckles, and piercings.

How was Harry supposed to avoid his Malfoy obsession when he was trying so hard? He seemed so approachable, and Harry felt oddly protective of the other man.

So, when Draco approached him asking if they could meet up to talk a few weeks after the war, curiosity won. Harry needed to know if the whispers about Draco were true. He needed them to be true, especially after vouching for Draco and his mother at the trials.

The meeting went better than Harry ever would have thought it could. Draco greeted him with a bright smile wearing muggle clothing, and Harry was a goner. Skinny jeans were created specifically for Draco Malfoy to taunt Harry.

"Potter! Thank you for agreeing to meet me, I truly appreciate it."

"Of course Malfoy. You're looking well."

"Do you think so? I'm still unsure about these, erm black trousers?"

"The jeans look great!," Harry rushed in quickly, his face quickly coloring.

"Oh... Thank you."

Both were saved from further embarrassment when a waitress came to take their drink order.

Harry had suggested they go to a muggle restaurant that he liked so they could be away from prying eyes. If things got too heavy, there was an ice cream parlour a few blocks away they could stop at after.

"Do you recommend anything?," Draco asked, paging through the menu.

"Depends on what you're feeling like. The burgers are quite good, so are the pasta dishes, the steak tacos are to die for as well as the nachos-"

Harry stopped rambling at Draco's raised eyebrow and amused face.

"Right, these aren't pureblood fancy dishes, you're unfamiliar with them. Erm, did you wanna pick a couple things to split? Then you can see what you like."

"Don't feel like you have to on my account-"

"I always like trying new things, it's alright. We can just pick from the appetizers because they're smaller portions. You pick two and I pick two?"

"Okay. How do you feel about mushrooms?"

"I've never had them."

"Really?"

"Do I strike you as a fancy eater?"

"I'll take you to one of my favorite restaurants then. I am interested in these nachos though."

The conversation continued to flow easily, surprising both men. It was when they were waiting for the check that Draco finally gathered the courage to speak up.

"I invited you out because I wanted to apologize, Potter. I know that nothing I say or do will make up for what I've done, but I'm trying to be better every day. I know that I can't change the past, but I want to create a better future. I'm not saying these things to try to manipulate you into forgiving me, please don't get that impression. I'm saying them because they're the truth.