Flowers on the Grave

I got the idea for this from a viral Tumblr post and I've been wanting to write it for ages now.

{Description: sometimes I steal flowers from your garden on my way to the cemetery but today you've caught me and have demanded to come with me to make sure "the girl is pretty enough to warrant flower theft" and I'm trying to figure out how to break it to you that we're on our way to a graveyard.}

Harry really needed to stop getting himself into situations like this. Honestly, most times they could be avoidable, and he thought he had been in the clear. The house, could he even call it that, because really it was more like a mansion, had so many flowers growing in the front garden, he didn't think a few missing every two weeks would be that noticeable. He even tried to change the times where he would show up and pick a few, thinking it would help. Instead, as he reached his hand through the gap in the fence, something grabbed his wrist.

"I knew it! I knew someone was taking flowers, but they didn't believe me."

"I'm so sorry, I didn't think a few flowers would be missed. I tried to only take the ones that grew through the fence onto the sidewalk."

"Meet me by the front gate flower thief."

Everyone had told Draco that he was going crazy, but he knew that wasn't the case. He had planted most of the flowers himself, and initially he had thought it had been the work of some animals. When the slices became more precise, he knew that's when someone with a knife had been visiting and stealing his flowers.

Whatever lashing Draco was prepared to give faltered as he took in the sheepish man's appearance.

"Why are you dressed like that?"

"I'm, erm, going somewhere special."

"You're stealing flowers... for a date?"

"I suppose you could say that. Really, I am sorry. I can give you money for what I've taken-"

"You're taking me with you to your date. Let's go," Draco demanded.

"I- you're what?"

"I need to make sure the girl is pretty enough to warrant flower theft."

That's how Harry found himself panicking as he walked the familiar route to the cemetery where his parents were buried, and he was running out of time and excuses.

"I promise I won't do it again, you really don't have to do this."

"I'm invested. You've been taking flowers for at least the past month, I'm sure it's been longer. I want to see who's been receiving them."

"No actually, you don't," Harry muttered.

A few minutes later, they arrived at the gate to the cemetery.

"Is this... a shortcut?," Draco asked, getting worried for the first time.

"You wanted to meet who the flowers were going to."

"You bring them here?," Draco flinched, a look of horror present on his face.

"Yep."

"And you're only telling me now?"

"You assumed I was giving them to a girl. Technically they're for my mum, so you're right with that, but I'm very much not straight, and this isn't a traditional date. I come every 2 weeks on Sundays rain or shine to clean up their graves and replace the flowers."

"Oh. Um. Me neither? With being straight I mean. My parents are... I'm going to stop talking now."

"Good to know," Harry said, taking the other man in for the first time.