Invisible String

{Written for my bestie bel_luv . Happy birthday, thank you for listening to all of my story ideas 💗}

Draco had honestly tried to stay away from Potter, he truly tried. After narrowly avoiding being sentenced at his trial, Draco vowed to keep his mouth shut, his head down, and focus on his studies. That was all fine and well, but Potter seemed to have other ideas. Wherever Draco was, you could almost guarantee that Harry Potter was lurking somewhere nearby. This on top of everything else deterred people from being near Draco, so he was completely and utterly alone.

Harry wouldn't quite say it was on purpose that he kept finding himself near Draco. He didn't always actively seek the other man out. It almost felt like a pull of sorts, and it was something he had felt ever since their rivalry began in first year. They didn't even have to talk, Harry was fine just looking at him.

The lingering stares had to be what Draco hated the most. He preferred being spoken to, yelled at, hell even pushed against a wall. Something that actually held a meaningful interaction. He was getting fed up, and no matter where Draco went, Potter followed.

"Have I done something to you?," Draco seemingly asked the air one October morning, completely fed up with always being watched.

"Are you talking to me?," Harry asked in surprise after a moment's hesitation.

"Do I have another stalker I should be addressing my questions to?," came Draco's sarcastic retort.

"I'm not stalking you!"

"Yesterday when I went to the seventh floor-"

"But you didn't go to the seventh floor," Harry interrupted.

"Precisely. How else would you know that if you weren't watching me?"

"Okay, maybe I am watching you," Harry awkwardly admitted.

"Care to come out of the tree you're hiding in and actually face me? Or is that a privilege only you're privy to?"

"I'm here."

"Aren't you always?," Draco asked in frustration. "I'm not up to anything, I'm simply trying to survive so you can quit following me already!"

"I don't think you're up to anything," Harry said in confusion.

"Well, you have me fooled. Why are you always around?"

"I don't know."

"How can you possibly not know? You make an active choice to follow me around."

"I don't know why I do it. My feet just kind of follow you."

"Right... We remember how well the last time you actively followed me somewhere went. I suppose you refrain from following me into the bathrooms now."

The bitterness couldn't help but seep into Draco's tone as he pictured all of the scars crossing his chest.

"I never apologized for that, and I'm so sorry Malfoy. I didn't know what that spell did."

"And somehow that makes it even worse. The fact that you hated me so much that you would throw an unknown spell at me when I was vulnerable- it doesn't matter. You can't change it," Draco said, gathering his things and getting up.

"What if I want to?," Harry blurted out.

"Are you in possession of a time turner then?," Draco asked sarcastically.

"I can't change the past. Believe me, there's more of my life than not that I would change. But I can control the present, and I can control the future. You asked why I follow you... I feel protective of you."