Graduation

{A graduation gift from me to you to thank you all for your support and patience}

Malfoy was not one to have panic attacks. Draco however, was a completely different story. After having been in such close proximity to him over the years, Harry could understand Draco's emotions seemingly better than his own.

"Potter you don't understand, I can't do it."

"You can and you will."

"No, I can't!"

"Malfoy graduating is supposed to be the easy part," Harry replied with a laugh.

"Yes, well I'd much rather be with my specimens in a lab."

"Draco, you've worked so hard to reach this point," Harry replied gently, placing his hand on Draco's shoulder. "You deserve to celebrate your achievements."

"It's not that I don't want to celebrate, it's the fact that people still hate me. I don't blame them for it, they're justified by what I've done, but I don't want to ruin it for them."

"We've discussed this. You've done what you needed to do. You can't change the past, and in the end you chose the right side. At least you were fighting for something. Most of these people who have things to say were too cowardly and allowed children to fight their battles for them. Will you think about it at least?"

"Fine."

"Brilliant!"

"That's not a yes-"

"Close enough for me."

Harry walked out of the room feeling victorious, and Draco committed his happy smile to memory.

"I don't know why it matters so much to you," Draco muttered the next time the topic came up.

"Draco you've just found out you're graduating at the top of your class! Of course it matters, look at how amazing you are!"

"I'm not that amazing-," he started quietly.

"Of course you are, don't be daft! You went to school full time on top of working full time! You have so much to be proud of I don't even know where to start!"

"Thank you Potter," Draco said softly, turning away so that Harry wouldn't see the bright smile that took over his face.

He failed, and Harry spent a few moments admiring him, before getting back to work.

"Any time Malfoy."

It seemed as if Harry really meant it, because Draco realized he was being complimented a lot more than usual lately. He felt as if he was under more pressure than usual, so Harry's soft remarks left him feeling much more emotional than usual.

"Come here," Harry demanded, a week before Draco's graduation.

"Potter-"

"Malfoy," he mimicked with a sneer.

Sighing, he walked to Harry, who grabbed his wrist with one hand, and wordlessly packed his things with the other.

"I need to finish that!"

"Not right now you don't. Come on."

"You can't just decide that I'm done working!"

"I can actually, I already signed us out. Hold on."

The only thing that stopped Draco from complaining was the look of pure disgust on Harry's face after they apparated back to his flat.

"Serves you right," he huffed. "I'm a very busy man."