Chapter One

Chapter One

Senator Randolph's Daughter

Charlotte was a nineteen-year-old woman with no future. Even though she was the daughter of Senator Randolph and lived a lifestyle accepted in Harrisburg society, she had spent her last six months torn between her mother and father, who fought about money continuously.

At the beginning of the holiday season in December, her father left for his office, and she and her mother packed their trunks and moved to the other side of the city of Harrisburg. They moved in with her mother's sister, Aunt Carmen, and her husband, Uncle John Winthrop. The Winthrop's lived on a sprawling estate outside of the city of Harrisburg. Their estate overlooked the Susquehanna River.

Charlotte had graduated from the girl's preparatory school in May. They trained her to be a lady, to run a household and be a social asset to her future husband, but she dreaded the upcoming season of galas and parties.

It was her fourth season of being introduced as a single woman. Her friends were getting engaged and married, and Charlotte dreaded the idea of being talked about behind her back. She had no prospects, but plenty of offers. None of the offers interested her in the least.

She and her mother had argued on the day after Christmas. Charlotte had received a pile of invitations, and her mother insisted she respond and accept the invitations. Then there was the tedious process of deciding which gown to wear to which party.

She was restless and felt rebellious against the society of Harrisburg. Charlotte agreed to be introduced at Juliette's party since it was her cousin's first season. She was having a burgundy gown made for the occasion. She had not secured a date to be handed off to and was not sure if her father would even attend the event.

Her grandfather assured her he would escort her and enjoy two dances with her. She kissed her Poppie and thanked him for his generous offer.

She and her mother had spent little time with her father during the holidays. Unexpectedly, the Senator arrived at the Winthrop's on the evening after Christmas to talk to Charlotte. He brought her Christmas presents Charlotte knew her father's secretary had selected.

"Please, Charlotte, consider traveling with me this week. I am going to Carlisle on business, and the mayor has invited us to a New Year's Eve party at his home."

"Why do you need me to go with?"

"Your mother refuses to travel with me. You could be my companion on the trip. I would give us some time to spend together. I am hoping to convince you to move home with me."

Charlotte felt torn between her parents. She had spent the entire holiday season with her mother.

"You could ride during the day when I am in meetings and then at night, we would dine at the hotel."

He had hit her in a weak spot: horses. She would have several days to ride and think about her future. Getting out of the city would clear her head and help her decide her options.

"When do you plan on leaving?"

"Early Wednesday morning, and I plan on coming back the following Tuesday. "

"I need to talk with mother."

"She'll say no. I'm sorry, but your mother disappoints me, and she had the nerve to move out during the holidays without so much as a word."

"I know you are upset but let me talk to her."

Charlotte left the foyer area and walked into the parlor to speak to her mother.