Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

Senator Randolph and his Staff

When Reggie returned to the parlor, Charlotte was visiting with the men.

"I settled my father into his room, and he is enjoying his hot toddy. He selected a book to read and is tucked in for the night," said Charlotte to Reggie.

"That's good to hear," said Reggie, as he looked distracted. "Where are the women?"

"Oxford told me they were in the solarium visiting," said Gordon.

"Let me show you to my mother's room."

Reggie said nothing of the senator because he didn't want the women to worry. He escorted her into the room, where he found the two ladies enjoying a bottle of wine. They were laughing and covered in shawls, sitting by the fire.

"I will have Oxford bring in another glass," said Reggie, and he left Charlotte in the room.

As Reggie walked down the hallway, he heard a knock at the door. Oxford opened the door, and Sheriff Davis stepped into the foyer. By now, Gordon, Rupert and Maxwell joined Reggie.

"Gentlemen, I have just received some news concerning Senator Randolph and Charlotte."

The sheriff told the news to the men about the Senator and his staff's disappearance from the hotel, and Reggie added Jenkins had followed them to the inn.

"Pulling the hitch pin. That's a good one. And I doubt they will get much help at Mulligan's this time of night," said Rupert. "Last I heard, Squire Brown tends the horses at the Inn."

The men agreed, knowing the man was a drunk. Reggie and Rupert left with the sheriff to talk to the men at the barn. Gordon and Maxwell went to the solarium to encourage the women to retire for the evening. When the three of them entered the barn, they found Scotty and Clarence sitting at the table in the bunkhouse playing checkers.

"Men, we need to post a guard tonight. The Senator and his staff escaped from the hotel in Carlisle, and Jenkins followed them to Mulligan's," explained Reggie.

"If it all the same to you, gents, I am going to ride to the inn tonight and keep an eye on them, in case they decide to leave during the night," said Sheriff Davis.

"Well, you can't go looking like that," said Rupert. "You need a disguise."

The men agreed. Rupert brought out some of his barn clothes, and Sheriff Davis removed his sheriff's uniform. Clarence folded the clothes and put them in a burlap satchel. After the Sheriff dressed in woolen pants, a warm sweater, and Rupert's barn coat, Scotty grabbed a chunk of coal.

"Let's cover up that shaggy red beard of yours."

Scotty used the charcoal to dirty up his face and beard. Rupert brought out an eye patch and tied it around his face. The boys admired their disguise and handed him an old felt hat.

"You're going to need some coins to drink with if you plan on staying at the inn for the night."

Rupert handed the sheriff the coins. Clarence tied on a bedroll on his horse, and they added a canteen full of water.

"Thank you, gents. If you don't see me in the morning, you know I am following them."

"Do you want us to send somebody with you?"

"No, I don't want them at the inn recognizing anyone from the Thanturnam Estate, and Jenkins has already been there."

"If you have to leave, send word with a messenger boy, and we will organize the men to help you capture the Senator and his staff," said Reggie.