Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

Reunited

Charlotte described her household in Harrisburg and told Rose about the upcoming social season. Then the women heard a knock at the door.

"Mrs. Thanturnam, I have a delivery for Miss Randolph," said Oxford through the bedroom door.

Adeline opened the door and Oxford and Oscar carried in Miss Randolph's trunk into the bedroom.

"My clothes!" exclaimed Charlotte with delight.

Then she saw Oscar, and she threw her arms around him, surprising the older gentleman.

"Oh Oscar, you came. I'm so glad to see you."

"Oh Ma'am, so am I."

He had blushed at the show of affection but was thrilled to see her alive and being taken care of by the women. Rose offered her chair to Oscar.

"Bring Mr.?"

"Oscar Watkins, Ma'am" as he tipped his hat to the lady of the house.

"Oxford, bring Mr. Watkins some coffee. He has had a long journey in this cold weather."

"Thank you, Ma'am. I appreciate it."

The women tipped the trunk over and located the extra key. Rose and the servants opened her trunk and unpacked her clothes that Marge had packed while Charlotte and Oscar visited by the fire.

"So, you accepted my offer?" asked Charlotte.

"Oh yes, Miss. I would much rather serve you and your mother than the Senator."

"How is he?"

"I think he had a terrible spell this time. He is frail, but still giving the orders."

"Always in charge, even at the end."

"There's a lot of talk going around amongst the men. I'm afraid the Senator is a great deal of legal trouble."

"Has Mr. Hillsborough arrived yet?"

"No, Ma'am. The storm has made travel difficult. I'm sure the Senator's lawyer will arrive in the next day or so. Until then, your father refuses to answer questions."

"Let me guess. He pulled up the covers tight to his chin, pursed his lips and refused to speak."

"Yes, Ma'am. When Clyde and I carried out the trunk, he displayed that behavior."

"He will recover. He is too stubborn to admit he is wrong."

"Mrs. Thanturnam, I had sent a letter to Oscar this morning with the sheriff. Oscar is my groomsman, and when I'm ready to travel home, Oscar will escort me back to Harrisburg."

"Well, Mr. Watkins, you are going to need a place to stay."

"Ma'am, by the size of that barn, I bet you have a nice bunkhouse inside there."

She smiled at him. "Put your things in the bunkhouse and if you're hungry, you can get something to eat in the mess hall."

"Thank you, Ma'am for your hospitality. I will let you rest now, Miss Charlotte."

"Thank you for bringing my clothes and accepting my offer, Oscar."

"Well, I couldn't let Mrs. Randolph down. She will appreciate that I am looking after you."

"Yes, I plan on posting a letter to her, and I will let her know you are watching over me."

Oscar tipped his hat to the ladies and ran down the big wooden staircase. He thanked Oxford for his help and then he drove the carriage over to the stable. The stable hands welcomed him and the team of horses.