Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

Visitors from Harrisburg

On Friday afternoon, Doctor Carter delivered Charlotte's brief letter to her father, and he was outraged. He got out of bed and paced, blaming his wife for turning his only daughter against him.

Mr. Armstrong had been packing all day, putting on layers of clothes as he planned to escape. He was not going to jail. The men argued with Mr. Baldwin, who disliked the idea but was afraid of jail.

Finally, Mr. Baldwin consented, and they planned their escape. No trunks, only what they could carry. They needed to outsmart the ignorant half man-half beast that had been assigned to guard their door. They just had to get past him and hitch up their carriage without raising an alarm.

When Mr. Willoughby arrived, he was an answer to their prayers. He gave the men their payroll envelopes and handed Mr. Baldwin money to pay their accounts. Then he gave the senator the letter from his lawyer. The senator's face turned bright red with anger. It appalled the men that Mr. Hillsborough had not come to their aid in this time of need. Mr. Baldwin felt the walls closing in on him. Mr. Armstrong drew his pistol and held it on Mr. Willoughby.

"We are leaving. You need to go down and get the carriage. Pull it into the alley, and we will bring the senator down the servant's staircase."

"Put that gun away. First, how are you going to get past that massive man in front of your door?" asked Mr. Willoughby, staring at the man's hand shaking.

"The kid is an idiot. He just wants to please everyone. Tell him you have an important letter for the Sheriff and to wait for the Sheriff's response. That will give us time to slip out and leave," said Mr. Armstrong. "Will you do it?"

Mr. Willoughby walked over to the desk and wrote a letter to Sheriff Davis explaining that Mr. Hillsborough would not be representing Senator Randolph. He explained another counsel will be assigned, but Mr. Hillsborough wants an updated list of charges.

He signed his name, and they set their plan in motion. When Mr. Willoughby tied his horse to the hitching post and entered the carriage house, it surprised him to see Oscar visiting with the head groomsman, Clyde Jamison. The senator's aide poured on the charm.

"Oscar how are you?" said Mr. Willoughby, rushed forward to greet the men. "I have just returned from Harrisburg with this week's wages and letters for the sheriff. I have your pay envelope right here."

He removed the envelopes from his inside coat pocket and gave Oscar his week's wages.

"Do you know where I can find Piper and Jenkins?"

"They arrested Piper for cattle-rustling. He's in jail until the circuit judge passes through here," explained Oscar.

"Well, then I should give this to the sheriff," said Mr. Willoughby.

"I'll make sure Jenkins gets his paycheck," said Oscar as the man handed him the extra envelope.

"Are you planning on traveling back to Harrisburg?"

"We're staying at the Thanturnams until Miss Randolph is ready to travel," offered Oscar.

"How is she?"

"She is doing better."

"Greet her for me."

Mr. Willoughby tied his horse to the Senator's carriage and climbed in the driver's seat. The large doors were opened, and he bid the men adieu. He continued down the alley and then drove through a residential street and circled back to the alley behind the hotel. He went around to the front of the hotel and up the stairs to the Senator's room.