Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Carlisle, Pennsylvania

When she awoke the next morning with a slight headache, she knew she needed coffee. The stove had gone out, and there was a chill in her room. She dug in her trunk for her riding clothes. Charlotte dressed warm into woolen undergarments and put on the black woolen breeches she had purchased for the trip.

She donned a navy-blue woolen dress and her tall black riding boots. She laid out her cape, gloves, and a floppy brown felt hat. Then she gathered her letter to her mother and a small money pouch. Charlotte placed the valuables in her skirt pocket and went downstairs for some much-needed coffee.

The men were already at breakfast when she arrived at the table. She ordered coffee and joined the men at the table.

"Where are you off to this morning?" asked Mr. Albright.

"I thought I would check out the stores," said Charlotte, not wanting her father to know she intended to mail a letter to her mother. "Then I plan to go riding to see the countryside."

"Sound delightful. I wish I could come with," said Tristan.

"Perhaps another day," said Charlotte.

"I look forward to that," said Tristan as he took her hand.

With a quick reflex, Charlotte pulled her hand back, which surprised herself. She felt flustered by the advance and stood up from her chair.

"Well, I must be going. Have a good day, gentlemen, and I will see you this evening."

Charlotte gathered her outer garments and rushed out of the dining room. The air was crisp as she stepped outside. The sun was shining brightly with no wind. She knew it would be a good day to ride.

She walked along the boardwalk and took notice of all the buildings on Main Street. Charlotte walked past the bank and the sheriff's office. She hurried past the saloon as the innkeeper was sweeping off the steps to the saloon. She saw the sign for a post office at the general store.

When she opened the large wooden door, she found a well-stocked dry goods store with shelves full of merchandise. The conversation had stopped when she entered the store. She smiled nervously as she moved to the post office window.

"I would like to post a letter to Harrisburg," said Charlotte to the older woman who moved around the counter to assist her.

"Why of course, Ma'am."

The woman stamped her letter with ink, and Charlotte paid the fee. A relief of anxiety left her shoulders when she saw her letter safely tucked in the mailbag.

"The letter will go out tomorrow morning with a rider."

"Thank you. That is good to know."

"May I help you with anything else?"

"Not yet, but I wish to look around at the merchandise."

The conversations had continued around the checkerboard as Charlotte made her way around the stacks of merchandise. The store was filled with winter clothing, boots, and dry goods.

There weren't books for sale, but there were different sizes of leather journals. She selected a medium size leather-bound journal to purchase along with a warm pair of woolen stockings and an extra pair of wool socks. She paid for her purchases and left the store to carry them back to her room at the hotel.