Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Accusations and Dismissals

The snow continued to fall as Charlotte and Oscar walked back to the hotel. When they arrived at the lobby, she saw her father and his aides were in the bar drinking. Her father joined them as Marge helped them with their capes.

"Charlotte, my dear. Did you have a lovely day?"

Charlotte stiffened as her father kissed her on her cheek. She was furious with him as if the rumors were true, but she held her tongue and forced a smile.

"Excuse me, father, while I change for dinner."

Charlotte raced up the large wooden staircase to her room. It perplexed her on how to confront her father. He had been drinking, and she knew tonight would only bring lies and dismissals, that she was worried about nothing. Charlotte decided to confront him tomorrow when he was sober.

She decided as she sorted through her gowns that she may try to pry information from Mr. Albright. She chose a dark red gown, knowing her father hated red. He told her it made her look to Hispanic like her mother. Her father detested their cultural and seemed to chastise her mother whenever she stepped out of line away from American traditions.

Charlotte donned the A-line gown and adjusted her bodice to expose her full breasts. She brushed her hair into waves and tied a bright red ribbon around her head to hold back the thick black locks. She added ruby drop earrings and tied on her matching red shoes.

With a touch of perfume and rouge, she did her make-up, finishing with a final light dusting of powder. She came down the stairs to join the men. She found Mr. Albright and ignored her father.

"Good evening, Tristan."

"Why, Charlotte. So good to see you. You look stunning this evening. I believe red is your color."

Tristan was dressed in a crisp, clean white shirt and silk caveat with a tailored frock coat and matching vest. He looked handsome in his attire, and Charlotte found herself drawn into him, yet secretly hoping to get answers to her questions.

"Thank you, Tristan."

"May I order you a glass of red wine?"

"Yes, that would be lovely and so thoughtful that you remembered I favored red wine."

Tristan smiled and became her most attentive servant that evening. Charlotte smiled and flirted as they shared drinks and their evening meal of roast beef. It wasn't until they served brandy that Charlotte broached the subject.

"Tristan, you have been patient to wait for my answer concerning my cousin's party. But I need you to be honest with me. Did my father make you any promises in return for my hand?"

"Oh no, Ma'am. I was hoping to speak to your father with your consent to court you. I am falling in love with you, Charlotte, and I look forward to every evening with you and every morning just to be in your company."

"But you don't respect me as a woman."

"I have the utmost respect for you, my lady. It would honor me to court you and protect you from harm."

"But not enough to tell me the truth. My father hired you for some reason. He has plenty of aides. You don't think I would understand what business dealings my father is involved in nor possibly approve of. Before I would allow anyone to court me or even accept marriage from, they would have to respect me, a woman who is knowledgeable in business affairs."