Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-Nine

Family Colors

When the sleighs arrived at the Thanturnam Estate, they dropped the women off at the front door, along with Charlotte's grandfather and father. Constance insisted Maxwell lay down before this evening's meal to rest his injured arm. He agreed, and the guests returned to their rooms to dress for the evening.

Rose check with Edith for the menu and told her there would be three more for this evening's meal. Edith had everything under control as Lucy gathered the extra place settings. Rose retired to her room and thought about the different wedding options and the dresses she would need if they traveled.

The men took the horses to the stable, and each brother took care of their own horses, including their father. The camaraderie felt wonderful as they worked in their shirt sleeves, grooming their horses. Rupert rode up to the stable and shouted greetings in the doorway of the stable. He was so happy to see his brothers and finally be at home where he belonged.

"How did your date go?" asked Reggie.

"Oh, did I dodge a bullet," said Rupert. "And it was one of the worst meals I ever ate. Then her mother wanted to know my intentions for marriage."

The men laughed at Rupert's exaggerated antics, knowing how he felt about marriage.

"And then when Julia was sobbing, I saw her missing tooth. It was a sign from God, I tell ya."

The men doubled over in laughter.

"I swear. One young'un knocked it out."

Laughter continued until the men were wiping their eyes. Rupert continued to extol his litany of reasons not to get married. Then Ridge told Rupert his news.

"I'm not getting married. I called off the engagement to Josie," said Ridge.

"Congratulations. That's great news," said Rupert with a big grin on his face. He patted Ridge on the back on a job well done.

"Josie will never be a Thanturnum woman. She's an immature girl who loves parties and beautiful gowns. She doesn't drink whiskey and couldn't run a household," said Ridge.

"Well, I could have told you that," said Roman. "It takes a special woman to live up to the high standards that our father has set for us."

The boys tipped their hats to their father. If they would have had a glass, it would have been a toast.

"I believe Charlotte meets those standards," said Reggie with pride. "She is a wonderful cook and enjoys a warm toddy in the evenings. Her beef stew was excellent today."

"I thought Edith made that stew," said Gordon.

"No. Edith gave her the leftover stew, and Charlotte added her touches to it."

Everyone agreed the meal was delicious, and then Gordon told Roman and Ridge about Charlotte's potato soup.

"Will you all stop talking about food? I'm starving," said Rupert.

The brothers laughed and finished their chores before heading to the house for the evening.

* * *

By six o'clock, everyone was dressed for dinner, and the women joined the men for drinks before the evening meal. The women had taken extra care of their toiletry, and they all looked exceptionally beautiful this evening.

Talia wore her long auburn hair braided down her back with a dark green woolen dress with an open neckline. She wore her topaz necklace and earrings. Charlotte thought she looked like a winter princess as she entered the room.