Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Last Will and Testament

When he reached the buckboard seat, Kaiser was sitting next to Charlie. She was bathing the dog with attention and cooing to him. Kaiser's tail beat in delight at the praise.

"Wait a minute. Kaiser move over. There is nowhere for me to sit."

Kaiser jumped off the seat to the floorboard as Reggie climbed into the driver's seat. Both Reggie and Charlie laughed at the situation. Charlie continued to pet the big dog sitting between them, and Kaiser was delighted to be going for a ride. He loved Charlie's attention.

As they rode back into town, they knew it was later in the afternoon. The sun glowed in the west as it settled into an array of colors for the evening's sunset. Reggie kept the news of his recent inheritance to himself as they drove along the road. He wanted to trust Charlie, but his experiences with women had taught him to be cautious and suspicious of their motives.

Reggie led the team to the edge of town where the undertaker lived. He knocked at the door of the Toby residence. Mr. Toby answered the door.

"Ivan Polansky passed away. I found him this afternoon," said Reggie, as the reality of the words continued to hit him.

"I knew it wouldn't be long. Ivan visited me in the middle of the month and made all the arrangements. Bring him in."

Charlie grabbed the quilt from the body, folded it, and laid it in the back of the wagon. The men carried the body into the home and set the body on the undertaker's table. When Reggie unwrapped the bedding that surrounded Ivan, Mr. Toby saw Ivan's blood-soaked hair.

"What happened?"

"He was murdered," said Reggie.

"Why? Oh, the poor man. Who would do such a thing?"

"You said Ivan stopped earlier this month to make arrangements? Why would he do that?"

"Ivan told me he knew he was dying. It was his heart," explained Mr. Toby. "He had seen a doctor in Harrisburg this fall."

"I knew he had become weaker this fall, and he downsized his cattle herd, telling me the steers were strong enough to survive the winter."

"Ivan paid for all the arrangements with strict instruction to bury him next to his beloved Martha. I won't be able to be buried until this spring. I'll store him for the winter in my cold storage."

Then Kaiser jumped on the chair near the table where Ivan was laying. He placed his paws on Ivan and then laid his head down. He let out a mournful cry of sadness.

Reggie walked over to Kaiser and looked at his friend.

"Don't worry Ivan. I'm going to find out who did this and bring the son-of-bitch to justice. I owe him that much."

Then he breathed a blessing and asked for God's speed and mercy for the man's soul. Mr. Toby allowed the two people in the world that cared for Ivan Polansky a few moments to say goodbye to their friend. Then Reggie left the undertaker's house, and Kaiser reluctantly followed his new master. Outside in the yard, Reggie took out several coins from his pocket.

"Oscar, see that boys get a few drinks on me tonight for all their help this afternoon."

"Thank you, sir. You are most generous."

Reggie drove Charlie back to the hotel. He jumped down and came around to help her down from the wagon. He felt her tiny waist as he hoisted her in the air and set her on the ground.