Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Tristan Albright

After three days of packing for a week-long trip to the rural countryside, Charlotte was ready to go on an adventure. Her father picked her up early that morning on Wednesday. The caravan left the Winthrop estate after they said their goodbyes.

They were taking two carriages because of the Senator's aides, plus there were five groomsmen whom Charlotte thought was excessive. Oscar rode in front on Charlotte's black mare, Belle, with the white stockings. Then the Senator and his daughter, along with Mr. Baldwin, his aide, rode in the first carriage driven by Giles.

Her father's aides, Mr. Armstrong, Mr. Willoughby, and Mr. Albright, rode in the next carriage, driven by Bentley, followed by Jenkins and Piper, who rode horseback for protection. It was a beautiful morning; the air was crisp, and the sun shone brightly as they pulled away from the city. They weren't over two miles out of the city when her father brought up the subject of marriage.

"My dear, we need to talk about marriage. You are nineteen, and you need to be considering choosing a young, successful man to marry."

"Oh father. Please, not that again. I have met no one I would even consider marrying."

"I understand you have not accepted many invitations for this year's season, and you have not chosen a date for Juliette's party."

Charlotte looked at him and wondered how he knew that information.

"Mother and I accepted some invitations, and how did you know that I have not chosen a date for Juliette's party?"

"My dear, you forget you are my daughter, and I make it my business to be informed, even if you and your mother are no longer living with me."

"How much did you pay the servants to spy on me?" asked Charlotte with annoyance in her voice.

Senator Randolph ignored her question.

"Charlotte, I want to see you well matched and married. It is up to you to carry on the Randolph's name. I want to live long enough to know my grandchildren."

Charlotte blushed as he spoke of children and marriage.

"Father, please do not set me up with anyone this season. Allow me to make my choice."

"No. I do not want you to become an old maid. You are far too beautiful to waste your youth. I want you to get to know my new assistant, Mr. Albright."

"No father. I do not want you arranging dates for me. Remember what happened last year with Geoffrey?"

"He was a very fine young man with great potential in politics."

"Father, he was a very nice young man, well mannerly, but his teeth were so bad and when he laughed, he sounded like a braying mule. I just couldn't get past those annoyances."

"Charlotte, please used this trip to get to know Mr. Albright. He has great potential to rise in the political party. The two of you could be married and moved in with me. I miss you at home, and I desperately need you to bring life back into our home."

His eyes pleaded with her, and she looked at her father, realizing that this was the real reason he wanted her to travel with him. It was not to spend time with her but to have her suited to a man of his choosing.

She looked out the window and ignored his pleas. Her father had been a handsome man in his youth, but at forty-five, he was losing his hair. He had a paunch stomach and a bulbous red nose now from his excessive drinking.