Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Doctor Thanturnum

When he reached the driveway, he slowed his horse down and looked for traces of Kaiser. There were carriage tracks, footprints, and dog paw prints in the snow in front of the cabin. He dismounted and followed Kaiser's prints. He noticed dark stains in the snow and the tracks that led to the tree line.

Reggie followed them and noticed how they circled to the back of the house. At the edge of the tree line, the footprints stopped, and dark patches of blood colored the snow. The pattern in the snow had changed. Kaiser had pulled himself towards the back of the house.

He ran, following the trail to the back door. It was opened, and Kaiser was laying inside the pantry. Reggie was so happy to see the dog, but then his heart stopped. Was he dead? Reggie reached down and felt the dog. He was warm, and his heart was beating. Kaiser lifted his head and growled.

"Hey Kaiser. It's me, Reggie. Boy, am I glad to see you."

Kaiser laid his head down in pure exhaustion. His work was done. Reggie had found them. Then Reggie saw his bleeding paws. Kaiser had tried to claw his way through the door, leaving scratch marks. Then the reality hit.

"Oh God. Is Charlotte down there?" asked Reggie.

The German Shepherd whined at the sound of her name. He stepped over the dog and pulled the rug, moving Kaiser away from the door to the root cellar. Kaiser cried in pain as Reggie moved him out of the way.

Reggie opened the door, securing it on the hook. He reached for the candleholder, lit the candle, and climbed down the well-built ladder. He held the light up and surveyed the surroundings. Then he saw the altar. It was a priest's hole. Reggie remembered stories about a priest's hole from his Grandfather Thanturnam.

He pulled back the wool blankets and saw Charlotte laying on the cot. Reggie removed the gag from her mouth and saw the reddish-brown stain on the white cloth. He tasted the cloth.

"Laudanum," said Reggie as the bitter taste lingered in his mouth.

Her shallow breathing showed she was alive, but barely. She needed warmth. He pulled the knife from his boot and cut the ropes that were tied around her wrists and ankles. He rubbed her arms and hands to warm up her body. Then Reggie rubbed her feet and legs, yet she remained unresponsive.

Reggie dropped to one knee in front of the altar and sent a prayer of gratitude for keeping Charlotte safe, and then he crossed himself. He gathered her in his arms and carried her up the ladder to the pantry. He laid her down next to Kaiser on the rug.

Kaiser raised his head and sniffed the air, and let out a sigh as he laid his paw on Charlotte. Reggie retrieved the candle and replaced it on the shelf. Then he lowered the cellar door.

He searched his pockets for the keys to the cabin. The door leading to the kitchen was locked, and Reggie knew there was a drop bar on the other side. He ran around to the front of the cabin, opened the door, and dashed through the kitchen. He moved to the drop bar and opened the large wooden door to the pantry.

Reggie gathered Charlotte into his arms and carried her to Ivan's enormous bed. The bedding had been used to carry Ivan's body to the undertaker. He knew she needed warmth and that meant a fire. He grabbed the quilt from Ivan's chair and covered her.

Then he started making a fire. Both wood boxes were low. He gathered what was left for kindling and stacked the slivers of wood into a tent shape. There were papers strewn about from the fight. Reggie grabbed the closest sheet of paper and examined it for importance.