Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

News from Carlisle

Roman and Talia Thanturnam returned from their honeymoon with more than they had planned. They returned home with a matched pair of horse breeding stock. A pure black stallion and his mare, along with a two-year-old colt. They also purchased a team of Vermont work horses.

They purchased a Conestoga wagon with an excellent base, but the hoops and canvas had been damaged in a storm. They filled the wagon with extra tools for fencing and building along with hinges, gate hooks and equipment for a forge so Roman could do his own horse shoeing. Three teams of horses pulled a load of supplies for their new estate.

They arrived home on late Saturday morning. When they pulled into their new driveway, Mick and two young men were there to greet them. Mick was so proud and happy to see the newly married couple. He and the two hired hands spent the week cleaning and fixing up the barn. The bunkhouse was made livable and stock with the staples of wood and coffee.

The men had repaired the paddock fencing with new rails. Mick had stocked the barn with bedding and bags of the oats, not knowing how many horses Roman would bring home. They left four horses at the new site, and the young men agreed to stay in the bunkhouse. Talia and Roman walk their horses back to the Henderson place; Talia was eager to see her parents.

When they arrive in the yard, there was a man tying his horse to the hitching post. Mr. Armstrong looked at the couple walking towards him, and he gasped at the Thanturnam likeness of the man. He muttered under his breath. "Jesus, how many are there?"

"Hello. Can we help you?"

"My horse has thrown a shoe."

"Names Roman Thanturnum and this is my wife, Talia," said Roman as he smiled at his new bride. It felt good to say those words. Roman knew he would never tire of saying that with pride.

"Nice to meet you both."

"If you will excuse me, sir, I am eager to see my parents." Talia left Roman, carrying her saddlebags into the house.

The Senator's aide tipped his hat, and Talia scurried up to the main house.

"I believe I met your father and brother at the landowner's meeting in Carlisle on Monday evening. Excuse me, I am Senator Randolph's aide, Mr. Baldwin," said Mr. Armstrong as he lied to hide his identity.

"What a coincidence," said Roman. "Which of my brothers were at the meeting? There are four of us."

"I believe it was Reggie," said Armstrong, knowing full well who that insolent young man was.

"Why would my brother attend a landowner's meeting?" asked Roman with curiosity.

"Apparently, he had recently become a landowner. He inherited Mr. Ivan Polansky's farm upon his death."

Armstrong offered no details and changed the subject to his horse. He wanted the horseshoe replaced so he could be on his way to York. Roman and the senator's aide walked the horses to the barn. Calvin greeted Roman and welcomed him back from his honeymoon.

"Calvin, this man needs a new horseshoe."

"Right away," said Calvin as he led the limping horse to the forge.

"Mr. Baldwin, you said Mr. Polansky had died. How did he die?" asked Roman, remembering the man fondly.

"I'm not sure," lied Mr. Armstrong. "How long until the horse is ready?"

"Not long. Come into the bunkroom for a cup of coffee while you wait."

Roman was full of questions for the man asking about the landowners meeting and the news from Carlisle. The man remained vague, remembering that the meeting didn't go well. He became more nervous as Roman asked questions. Roman's instincts told him that something wasn't right. He noticed the man's nervousness when trying to answer the questions.