Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Blackmail

In his room, Tristan paced and plotted how to get out of this situation. They had lost two land deals on prime investment property and turned off the local landowners and investors. Tristan needed to do something that would put the senator in a better light with the locals. He needed something to happen that made the senator look better.

As he drank, he remembered the sting of Charlotte's rejection, and he became jealous of her developing relationship with Reggie Thanturnam. He hated everything about the Thanturnams. Their smug arrogance, composure and manners irritated him. They were nothing but rural hicks; he reminded himself, but they had put both him and the senator in their place.

Tristan knew Charlotte was completely enamored with the man. He decided the if he couldn't have her, nobody could. Blackmail: that was it. With his drunken thoughts, he devised a plan to kidnap Charlotte, ask for money in a ransom letter, and hide her in a secret location. When he received the money from the senator, he would rescue the senator's daughter, keep the money, and Charlotte would be in his debt for saving her life.

Then, he would pressure the senator to force Charlotte to marry him or he would spill the senator's secrets, ruining his political career. He finished his drink and smiled at his plan of blackmail. When he arrived at the carriage house to get a carriage late that night, Clyde asking the gent's business.

"None of your business."

Kaiser was barking at the man. Tristan was afraid of the large dog, and he voiced his contempt for the dog. Clyde tried to calm him down as Tristan harnessed his horse to the carriage.

Clyde opened the doors, allowing him to drive out of the carriage house. Kaiser continued to bark and growl at the Senator's aide. As Clyde closed the carriage doors, Kaiser ran out of the stable and disappeared into the darkness. Both Kaiser and Clyde knew something wasn't right.

The head groomsman was curious why a man would need a carriage in the middle of the night. It was after midnight when Clyde went back to bed, knowing Kaiser went after the carriage.

* * *

Tristan drove out of the carriage house and down the alley onto a residential street. He drove around and positioned the carriage near the back door of the hotel. Then he put on a black silk mask over his eyes and button his cape tight. He slipped on his black leather gloves and walked up the back staircase of the hotel to Charlotte's room.

He removed a slight case from his pocket and picked the lock. When the lock opened, he put away his tools and quietly opened the door. She was asleep. He took out the folded cloth soaked in laudanum and pulled his flintlock from his belt.

Tristan crept toward her as she laid on her side. He shoved the folded cloth over her mouth, holding on tight to her jaw as he hit her over the head with his flintlock. He observed her body go limp. Blood splattered on the sheets and his hand. He grabbed his handkerchief and wiped his wet blood from his hand.

Then he removed the ransom note from his vest pocket. Tristan smiled as he smeared blood on the envelope for a dramatic touch. He looked around the room and grabbed her cape. He tied a woolen scarf around her head. 

Tristan put on her cape and picked her up in his arms. She laid lifeless in his arms as he checked the hallway. Then he carried her down the back staircase to the awaiting carriage. He laid her in the carriage and covered her with a heavy buffalo robe. Tristan climbed up onto the carriage seat and snapped the reins, pulling the carriage down the alley into the night.