Chapter Twenty-Three

The Thanturnum Estate

When Sheriff Davis arrived in town, he locked Piper up in jail and heard Mr. Albright's demands for a lawyer.

"I need to deliver a letter to the hotel," said the Sheriff to his deputy. "Then I believe we may need to post a guard outside the Senator's door, in case he decides to leave town."

Sheriff Davis left his office and went to the carriage house to talk to Clyde. After he talked to the groomsman, he needed to find Clem Hopkins for guard duty at the hotel.

"Clyde, do you know where I can find a Mr. Oscar Watkins? I have a letter for him."

"Mr. Watkins, the sheriff needs to talk to you," shouted Clyde.

Oscar peaked his head up for the horse stall he had been working in taking care of the four horses left in his charge. He wiped off his hands and walk to the other end of the stable to speak to the sheriff.

"Miss Randolph sent you a letter," said the sheriff as he handed the man the piece of correspondence.

"How is she?"

"Better. They left the cabin, and she traveled with Mr. Thanturnam to their estate."

Oscar opened the letter and read the beautiful handwriting. She was offering him a job. He was ready to accept, which meant no more working for the Senator.

"Where is Miss Randolph's trunk?" asked Oscar as he stuffed the letter in his pocket.

"Marge packed the lady's trunk and put it in her father's room since the hotel needed the room during the storm."

"I need to deliver her belongings to the Thanturnam estate," said Oscar with a smile on his face after sitting around for three days and nights in the carriage house, too broke to drink or play cards.

The three men entered the hotel and climbed the stairs to retrieve the trunk. When they knocked on the Senator's door, Doctor Carter answered and allowed the men in with strict instructions to not upset the Senator.

"Pardon the interruption, Senator," said Oscar. "How are you feeling?"

"Poorly, absolutely poorly," moaned the Senator.

"I received word from Miss Charlotte to bring her belongings to the Thanturnam Estate. She will stay there for a few days while she recovers from her ordeal."

"Did she send me any word?"

"No, sir. I'm afraid not. We just need to get the trunk, and we'll let you rest."

"Charlotte, is she okay?"

Sheriff Davis stepped closer to the Senator's bed as the men carried the trunk out to the hallway and down the steps.

"Charlotte is doing better. She just needs to rest and be cared for by Mrs. Thanturnam and her staff."

"She didn't send any word to me? Her own father?"

"No, sir. Also, I need to tell you, Senator, that I will post a guard outside your door in case you try to leave. The pending charges have become more serious. Soon as Doctor Carter gives the approval, we will move you to the jail."

"You can't do that," said Mr. Baldwin.

"I'm not moving until my lawyer gets here," said the Senator in defiance.

He pulled the blanket tight under his chin, closed his eyes, and sealed his lips shut. By now, the doctor was furious and shooed the sheriff out into the hallway, closing the door.