Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

Leaving the Cabin

Scotty and Peter volunteered to stay and help with the dishes. And there was a pile of them. The two men jumped into a routine of pumping water to boil and pouring water into the dishpan to get started.

Scotty, the large burly man, rolled up his sleeves and washed every dish, pot, and pan as Peter dried. Charlotte cleared the table and put away the clean dishes. When they finished, the men thanked Charlotte for the good meal, and she thanked them for their help.

They joined the other men in the barn. When they finally left the cabin, Charlotte went to Ivan's desk and penned a letter to Oscar. She wanted to let him know she was at the Thanturnam Estate and that she was recovering from the ordeal.

She offered him a job as her groomsmen, letting him know that her mother would continue to pay his salary if he chose to leave the Senator's employment. She told him that the Thanturnams would have extra work with the livestock of Mr. Polansky's and when she could travel, he could escort her home.

Charlotte signed her name and knew she was none too excited to return to Harrisburg if it meant being away from Reggie. She missed her mother and dismissed the idea of meeting her real father. Charlotte wanted to be well rested from her ordeal before meeting him. She folded the letter and placed it in her pocket.

Next, she set the pillowcase by the front door and found her cape on the hook. She took the other pillowcase and stuffed Reggie's laundry into the case from the floor of Ivan's dressing area.

Then she searched for woolen mittens and a scarf for the ride in the sleigh. Kaiser was whining at the door, and she let him outside onto the porch. She searched in the pantry and found some of Ivan's mittens and extra wool scarf in a wooden box. Charlotte set them next to her cape.

She stirred the coals of the fireplace, spreading them out to burn down before they left. Charlotte sat on the warm ledge in front of the fireplace. While she waited, Charlotte opened Martha's sewing chest and sorted through the material.

There were several pieces of beautiful embroidery that were in different stages of being completed. She sorted them into one pile and the scraps into another. Some of the folded pieces of scraps held a needle or two for safe keeping. There was a crocheted drawstring bag of embroidery thread.

Charlotte laid the bag on the pile of unfinished pieces. She wanted to take them with in case she was left with time on her hands. Charlotte enjoyed being busy and hated sitting around waiting.

She went into the pantry and retrieved a satchel bag used for apples. She put the beautiful unfinished pieces in the bag along with the thread, some needles which were tucked in between pieces along with her scissors.

Then she retrieved Martha's journal. Last night, when she found the sacks of gold in plain cloth bags, she had forgotten about the blue velvet bag. The velvet bag held Martha's personal diary. She was thrilled to find some of her writing, but too tired to read it last night.

She placed the book in the satchel and looked around at this charming, peaceful refuge she had experienced these past three days. Despite everything, this cabin would remind her of happiness. In the back of her mind, she would have to return to reality and face her father.

Charlotte stood up and found her confidence as she squared her shoulders and straighten her spine. She had survived to become even stronger. Charlotte was fiercely in love with Reggie, and about to meet his mother, whose approval she desperately wanted.