Chapter Twenty-Eight

Morning Visitors and Afternoon Sleigh Ride

It was nine o'clock when Doctor Carter and Sheriff Davis arrived at the Thanturnam Estate. The sheriff dropped off the doctor at the front door and then drove the carriage to the front of the barn. He tied the reins of the team to the hitching post and went in search of Reggie.

Oxford greeted Doctor Carter, and he ushered him into the foyer. Rose came out of the kitchen and welcomed him to their home.

"Good morning. What brings you by, Doctor Carter?" asked Rose.

"Good morning, Mrs. Thanturnam," said Doctor Carter as he greeted her.

"The sheriff wanted me to write up a report for the judge on the extent of Miss Randolph's injuries and her current condition."

"She is upstairs. Follow me and I will check her room."

Charlotte had slept in and felt amazing this morning. Lucy had brought her tea and warm biscuits this morning. She was still in her nightgown and robe when Rose knocked on her door.

"May we come in?"

Lucy opened the door, and the doctor and Reggie's mother walked into Charlotte's bedroom. Kaiser jumped off the bed and hobbled to the door. He looked at Charlotte and whined.

"Lucy, would you take Kaiser downstairs to Oxford? I believe he has to go outside. Be sure he gets some breakfast and fresh water," said Rose.

"I was told Ivan's dog had died, but I can see he was injured."

"Good morning, Charlotte. I trust you slept well," said Rose.

Charlotte smiled and replied, "Oh, I had a marvelous night's sleep."

"The doctor has a few questions to ask you."

"How are you, my dear? My name is Doctor Carter, and I have been taking care of your father."

"How is he?"

"He is improving every day. He has been asking about you. How have you been feeling?'

"Much better."

Doctor Carter sat in the chair and asked questions.

"Now tell me what happened."

Charlotte told the doctor about the kidnapping.

"Reggie thinks he hit me over the head with a flintlock pistol. You may find blood on the pistol handle if you look."

The doctor reached into his bag and removed a small leather notebook. He made a note and then stood up to examine her injury.

"Oh my. Rose, you have outdone yourself again. Look at those tiny stitches and no signs of infection."

"I'm afraid I can't take credit. My son Reggie stitched the wound shut,"

"What?" said the doctor as he took a second look at the wound.

"You have taught him well," said the doctor.

Charlotte grabbed the satchel and removed the stained-brown cloth.

"This was used to cover my mouth,"

"Laudanum."

"I don't know what constitutes an overdose, but if you find a vial amongst Mr. Albright's belongings, you will know how much he used. Also, these were the ropes used to restrain me. Please give them to the sheriff."