Chapter Twenty-Seven

Discussions of the Future

"Oxford, would you bring hot toddies to the parlor?" asked Reggie.

"Yes, sir. Coming right up."

He joined his parents and Charlotte in the parlor. His father was stoking the fire in the fireplace and had poured everyone a warm brandy. Rose had left the bottle of brandy for the evening next to the fireplace. Reggie took the warm glass in his hands and joined Charlotte on the loveseat.

He lifted his glass and said, "To chance encounters." Charlotte smiled, and they clinked their glasses.

"So, tell me Reggie. What are your plans concerning Ivan's property?" asked his mother.

"To be honest, I don't know," said Reggie. Then he reached out and took hold of Charlotte's hand. "Whatever plans I make, I know I want Charlotte to be a part of the decisions."

"Charlotte, how long do you think it will be before you can travel? It is a full day's ride to Harrisburg from here, and we will have to be mindful of the weather," said Gordon.

"Oh, at least a week, maybe two," said Reggie, making Charlotte giggle.

"Charlotte, you are welcome to stay at long as you like," said Gordon.

"My dear, you must remember as the senator's daughter, I am sure she has many social obligations," said Rose.

"Well, I have one event I need to attend. My cousin Juliette turned sixteen, and this will be her first season. My aunt and uncle will be hosting the party at their home at the end of January," explained Charlotte.

"How exciting for her. By all means, you should attend."

"Reggie knows how I feel about the social season. What did you call them? Pretentious social gatherings?"

Everyone laughed and Reggie said, "And I told Charlotte that I did not want her to attend another gala unless she was escorted on my arm."

"It is my fourth season, and I am exhausted of attending the endless balls," admitted Charlotte.

In the back of her mind, she didn't want to face some socialites with the reminder of no relationships for the past four years. She was often told she was too picky with men. She now knew that she had been waiting for Reggie. Her search was over, and the social season in Harrisburg no longer interested her.

Oxford carried in a tray of hot steaming toddies and served a mug to each one. Charlotte felt drowsy from the brandy and knew this was her last drink of the evening.

"When is your cousin's party?" asked Rose.

"It is the last weekend in January," answered Charlotte.

"Well, you have plenty of time to recover and travel before the event. Do you have a gown?"

"Not yet, but this evening I am going to write to my mother to let her know where I am at and how I'm doing."

"Yes. I plan to pen a letter to your mother to extend our hospitality and assure her you are safe and well-taken care of in our home."

"She would appreciate it."

"Reggie, will you be traveling with Charlotte and attending the event?" asked his mother.

"Oh, I'm not letting this girl out of my sight. Wait a minute. I'm not wearing a wig."

Charlotte started laughing at the thought of Reggie in a powdered wig.