Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Mayor Thornton's New Year's Party

Charlotte had the time of her life at Mayor Thornton's New Year's party. Both Roger and his wife, Etta, were delightful hosts. They invited the entire town to the annual Saturday evening party to celebrate the new year. Charlotte was thankful she had remembered to bring a hostess gift when she saw others carrying contributions to the party.

She had chosen her Christmas gown that she and her mother had made for the holiday season. Her white wool skirt had an insert of red satin covered with a thin overlay of lace. The bodice was red velvet. The sleeves had inserts of white lace and the cuffs were trim with a long white lace.

She removed her red brocade jacket and handed her cape and gloves to the children, who were gathering the garments for the evening. Etta thanked her for the baked goods and introduced her to the Sterling's who ran the lumber mill outside of Carlisle.

Charlotte became the most gracious guest and found the rural folk to be genuine, with a delightful sense of humor. Mr. Albright found them naïve and annoying, but he hid it behind a smile as he charmed the young girls who giggled.

He danced with all the single girls in Carlisle and a few married women. Charlotte was also sought after for every dance, and she charmed her way through each encounter.

The food and liquor followed throughout the night as Charlotte sampled the different appetizers and warm, hard cider with cinnamon. Mayor Thornton carried a jug of brandy and toasted to the future of Carlisle.

Her father didn't dance but talked with anyone who would listen to his vision of expanding Carlisle. The people listened, but the bottom line was they wanted better roads.

Tristan was persistent throughout the evening to cut in and dance with Charlotte every chance he got. During the second interruption, Charlotte begged off from the dance to get something to drink. Tristan had been a delightful guest at the party, and she wondered if she should accept his offer for her cousin's party.

Charlotte wasn't sure if her mother would approve of one of the Senator's aides being at the party. Her mother would think he was spying and with the impending arrival of Maxwell Alvarez, her biological father, her mother would not want him there. She needed to tell him this evening that she could not accept his offer.

He brought her back a glass of spiced mulled wine, and they toasted to a delightful party.

"Tristan, I have enjoyed the time we have spent together, but I can not accept your offer for my cousin's party. I'm afraid my mother would not want one of the Senator's aides at the party."

"I can see the conflict of interest. If I had a different job, would you accept my offer?"

His remark took aback Charlotte.

"You would quit your job for me?"

"If it meant we could continue to see one another, then yes, I would look for a different job."

"I would have to think about it. I'm not ready to commit to a serious relationship."

"Your father aims to see you married. He will continue to pick someone until you agree. I just feel it should be me."

Charlotte knew he was right. His choice would be a way for her father to continue to be in her life. He had barely spent any time with her on this trip other than to scold her. She drank her wine and realized she needed to inform her father that she would not move back to his house.