Slow Dancing

Your wedding day is one of the best days of your life. That's common knowledge, all of the stress and planning it all adds up to one day that passes by within the blink of an eye. Everything happens so fast and then you wake up the next morning next to the man or woman you love and all of those missing puzzle pieces seem to fall right into place.

From the moment we got engaged I knew all I wanted was a small wedding, something intimate and simple. Luckily Cass is a lot like me in the sense where he has a small circle, two best friends he's known since his childhood and no parents. It was something we bonded over, he grew up in foster homes until he was eighteen and the system kicked him out.

I guess you can say I attract or find myself attracted to people who have parent issues. I don't go out of my way or post it on Craigslist, but it just seems to happen naturally. With that being said it was easy to agree on a small venue with our closest people to celebrate with. It didn't have to be extravagant, even though he said he wanted me to have everything I wanted. What he didn't realize was that I already did; Fey, Jack and him were all I ever needed.

I chose a small barn an hour away from where we lived, it was on a plot of land owned by this beautiful older couple that would rent it out for weddings and events. The barn itself could hold up to a hundred people probably, but we were only having maybe twenty or so. There was a hill on the land, where we put ab arch made of greenery and ivory. We set some chairs on each side and had made a walk way with a white runner that was covered in white rose pedals.

Neither one of us is religious by any means, so one of the defensive coaches that Cass is really close with ordained us. He's in his forties and is someone that Cassius looks up to, he took him under his wing and taught him the ropes so it was very fitting.

I found my dress a small boutique in Vermont when I went with Lo to visit her family a few months ago. It was the first one I tried on, and it fit me like a glove. I only had to make a few adjustments but overall it was perfect. We decided to have a food truck with tacos and a local brewery also has a food type truck with beer taps that we rented.

Cassius and the guys built a small makeshift bar out of some wooden pallets and we hired a bartender for the night. We had four signature cocktails and then basic ones for anyone who wanted something simple, and one of the players on Cassius's team his brother is a DJ so we got him for the night.

My bridesmaids were Lo, Kiki, Jasmin and Fey is our flower girl. Cassius had Luke, Ryan and Hunter next to him and Jack was the ring bearer. He invited his teammates, other coaches and I invited some other close friends from work, Kallan, Asher and Lo's parents who have been like mine through out the years.

The girls spend the day decorating the barn, getting the tables all set up and making sure everything is perfect. After our ceremony we take pictures with the wedding party and then just the two of us at sunset on the hill; I can't wait to see how they turned out. When we enter the barn, they announce us and our wedding party, my jaw drops at how beautiful everything is decorated.

I thank the girls, and guys then greet everyone who came and we spend the night eating, drinking and dancing our asses off. Lo's parents take Fey and Jack back to their hotel with them for the night so we can spend the rest of the wedding kid free.

I don't think I've ever laughed, and smiled as much as I have today. My feet are killing me from dancing so much but the alcohol makes it a little easier. We have our first dance song  Speechless by Dan + Shay and we plan to have another one after everyone leaves. It's just us at the end of the night soaking up the last few minutes of the most amazing day.

Around eleven everyone starts saying their goodbyes and our friends leave us. Asher walks over and shakes Cassius's hand and asks to talk to me alone. We step aside "Congratulations Saylor, you are the most beautiful bride I've ever seen. I'm so happy for you...both" I push through my tears and hug him.