Chapter 22: Time Glitch

After our little "friendly" chat with Chara the same scenario repeated once again. Just like before we were approaching Asriel's location while I just looked at Chara. She didn't even bother to look at me anymore or shout at me like last time and I couldn't tell if this is a good sign or not.

I really wished for her to believe me. Belive that I'm really sorry for what I did before, but looks like regaining her trust now will be really hard task for me.

But suddenly Chara stopped and I nearly bumped into her.

- Why did you...

- Asriel is coming, - she answered before I managed to finish, - Hide behind that lamp and wait.

- Hide behind..? - I looked around and noticed a lamp that was just standing here. I'm not even going to question why the hell lamp is standing in such place, - That? Are you sure?

- Yes, hurry up! - Chara already hissed at me while I just hurried up to hide behind this lamp.

I couldn't really tell if this thing cover my body well enough, but I already felt like this is a really bad plan. Now I just need to hope that Asriel is blind enough to not notice me.

Soon I noticed how familiar to me goat-boy ran up to this place with so much enthusiasm and impatient in his eyes. He quickly looked around, but thanfully, somehow he didn't notice me.

- CHARA! CHARA, H-HUMAN JUST FELL DOWN! - he exclaimed in joy.

- Yeah, you told me that already, Rei.

- DID YOU SEE HIM? WHERE IS HE?! - Asriel simply couldn't talk in his simple tone because of his own excitement.

- Nah, sorry, bro. I was too busy sleeping.

- CHARAAAA! - Asriel moaned in frustration, - This is not right time for your jokes! We need to find the human!

- Relax, Rei. I'm sure he's GOAT to be somewhere here.

What

Looks like me and Asriel had to analyze this pun for a few seconds just to understand it's meaning. But after that I barely managed to hold on my chuckle while Asriel quickly became triggered-goat.

- STOP IT! IT'S NOT FUNNY!

- You're GOAT to be kidding me. Many monsters like my puns!

- That's a lie and you know it!

- Okay-okay. Guilty, - Chara chuckled once again, - You got me on this one.

- Stop being so lazy and concentrate on human!

- But why should I? I'm just enjoying this lamp right here.

Hey, what the fu-

- WHAT'S SO SPECIAL ABOUT THIS LAMP?!

- I dunno. Come here and check it out.

- I don't have time for this! I need to prepare my riddles for human!

- For human like me? - I decided to leave my cover without Chara's signal and that literally impressed her. I couldn't tell if she liked my bravery or simply wanted to kill me now.

- Yeah, human just dropped down here and I need to... - looks like Asriel didn't realize what is going on at first, but after few seconds his eyes widened, - WAIT, A HUMAN?!

- Sup, - I only waved at him with smile.

And so goat-boy "exploded" again and started to tell me about his "genius" puzzles that I have to pass and how he's going to capture me afterwards. In short, all these stuff that he already told me before. Looks like everything is repeating now.

But all of the sudden he stopped his monologue and looked at me with still open mouth as if realizing something important.

- Rei? Is something wrong? - Chara got a bit worried because of Asriel's sudden change.

- I... - now Asriel sounded much more confused and even unconfident. What made him lose all of his enthusiasm and confidence? - Human... I think, I... I've met you before.

- What? - I asked getting more and more nervous. Now this is just freacking me out. So I just looked at Chara with a little panic, but looks like she was just as surprised as I was, - What do you mean?

- I've... Met you already. Somewhere in the past? No, that wasn't in the past... Or was it? - I could notice how Asriel's brain slowly started to "break".

- What do you remember? - Chara's attidute quickly changed from comedic to genially worry about her brother.

- I... I remember you. Both of you, - Asriel started while concentrating on my thoughts, - I remember how you helped Chara when she falled on my puzzle. Then you and Chara started... Dating? And then... Another human fell down and... And I fought him... And... And...

- Okay, stop right here, - I decided to interrupt him before he remembered about his own death.

This shit is getting out of hand. For some reason, Asriel started to remember about resets... Or he at least remember what happened in his "past" life.

- What the hell did you tell him? - I whispered to Chara in little frustration.

- I didn't tell him anything! - she only got offended and whispered back.

- Then how the hell...

- I can still hear your whispers, guys.

Shit

- Listen, Asriel, - I decided to calm him down, - We did NOT met before. It's probably just your weird dream.

- No, it's not a dream. It's too detailed to be just a dream. Besides... How do you know my name?

- Well, uh... - I tried to find an excuse after that. Fuck, I made the same mistake as with Papyrus!

- H-he just heard how I call you "Rei". And so he figured out that your name is Asriel! Right? - Chara tried to protect me while I just nodded in response, but that didn't really work out.

- Yeah, maybe... But why do you have this locket then? My family's locket, - Asriel asked and looked at my golden locket.

SHIT, I FORGOT ABOUT THIS THING!

- I-it's my family gave me! M-my parents, y-you know. I MEAN, NOT YOURS! MINE PARENTS! - I began to explain this in panic while hiding this locket under my T-shirt.

- JUST TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON! - suddenly Asriel shouted, - TELL ME ARE MY MEMORIES FAKE OR NOT?! YES OR NO?!

How in the hell he remembered such a thing... And does that mean - other monsters are going to remember resets as well? If that's so... I'm fucked.

- Rei, please, listen... - Chara tried to find another excuse, but I interrupted.

- It's true, - I stated.

- What? - Asriel decided to re-ask while Chara looked at me with shock. I had a feeling that if I'm going to tell Asriel the truth - I'm pretty much dead. Asriel himself was already afraid to hear my answer since his eyes slowly started to fill up with panic, - You mean, my memories are fake? I didn't... DIED in the past. R-right?

But I had enough of these lies. I had enough of lies for "greater good". Time to tell him the ACTUAL truth.

- All your memories... It is true.