Chapter 23: Family Break

After that Asriel was just standing there and staring at me with shocked expression. Looks like his brain was simply refusing to belive that I just said.

- What? No... No! It can't be! - Asriel exclaimed in disbelief, - You're lying to me! Right? You're lying! Why are you lying to me?!

Poor goat started to shout at me in panic and disbelief, but I could tell that he knows that this is the truth. The fear in his eyes told me that.

- I'm sorry, - I only sighned in response, - But you need to know. I can't let you be fooled again because of your own kindness like many times before.

- MANY TIMES BEFORE?! - Asriel only got much more panicked by that, - Y-you mean...

But I didn't answer while Asriel was already crying in shock.

- STOP THAT! NOW! - suddenly Chara exclaimed in anger interrupting both of us. She ran up to Asriel and tried to hug him, - Don't listen to him! This psycho simply doesn't know what he is saying!

- W-why didn't you tell me..? - Asriel sobbed while looked at Chara with wet and red because of tears eyes, - D-did you even care about me in the first place?!

- O-of course I did! - Chara ansewered indignantly. Looks like Asriel just hitted her weak spot, - I always did!

- THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME ABOUT THAT?!

- LISTEN! Everything he just said is NOT true, Rei! This is nothing, but freacking crazy non-sense!

- You're lying! Let me go! - Asriel couldn't watch on his own sister and managed to free himself out of her hands.

- A-asriel, wait! - Chara exclaimed and tried to run for Asriel while he was just running away from her in tears.

- I d-don't want to see you anymore! E-ever again!

After that Chara only stood in one place. I couldn't tell that she was experiencing right now since she was standing with her back to me. But I could tell that she was quitely crying as well.

I tried to take one step towards her, but looks like just one sound of snow crunching under my legs - "woke" her up. Suddenly her cry stopped and I understood...

I'm going to have a REALLY bad time.

- Listen, I just tried to...

But I got cruely interrupted by strong grip on my neck while Chara screamed in literal fury. And by strong grip - I mean REALLY strong grip since I quickly started to lose my breath. If Chara tried that on simple man, his neck would surely crushed already, so I guess, I was lucky to survive. For now.

- WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?! - Chara exclaimed while her demonic voice showed up again.

More importantly... Her face expression changed. Significantly. Chara's eyes were unnaturally widened up and it changed from her natural brown color to complete black while strange black liquid was dripping from her mouth. Two menacing red dots stared right into my eyes.

- I-it... It had to be done, - I tried to resist or at least lower the pressure on my neck, but her grip was stronger.

- YOU AREN'T THE ONE TO DECIDE THAT! - slowly she started to only strengthening the grip. I didn't had much time, - I'LL NOT ALLOW YOU TO RUIN MY FAMILY, YOU FUCKER

- Your own brother died to Shifty thousands of times! You told me that! - I exclaimed hoarsely, - You think he doesn't deserve to know the truth?!

- HE'S TOO YOUNG TO KNOW SUCH A THING!

- You didn't even tell your mother about Shifty's existance or your dad. He was killing all of you one by one because of you.

- SHUT THE FUCK UP! - she screamed in anger and punched me in the face. I could finally breathe once again, but this time the snow under me slowly started to cover with blood since Chara continued to punch me in her fury. But I tried to endure the pain.

- You were too afraid to tell them about Resets! How many times they died because of your fear? 300? 400? 500?! You're using them as your toys to calm down your nerves by now!

- I'LL DECIDE THAT BY MYSELF!

- THEN HERE IS YOUR CHANCE! - I shouted in anger and pushed her away from me.

My face was in pain since my nose was completely broken as well as my lips, so I could tell that my whole face was in blood right now. But Chara only sat on the snow and stared at me with her demonic eyes.

- I killed your problem. Now we need to let them know.

- They shouldn't know that.

- Why? Because you said so?!

- Because I... - Chara tried to answer while she slowly started to turn back to normal. But she already looked like just broken and nearly crying, - I tried to protect them. I thought if I'll tell them about that - they'll simply lose their minds and try to kill Shifty. So that way they'll simply come to him and make his work a lot easier.

Chara only silently sobbed after that.

- And how did that work out for you?

- I... I just lost hope already, okay!? I... I knew they're going to die and they're going to forget everything that I ever told them. So what was the point?!

- Maybe so, - I only nodded on her monologue, - But why are you afraid to tell them everything now?

But Chara didn't answer.

- So?

- I... Don't know. Probably I'm still afraid that in next few seconds I'm going to wake up in my bed again while Asriel scream in my ears about new human.

- Chara, Shifty is gone. Forever, - I tried to put my hand on her shoulder while she just looked at me with some sort of disbelief. But this time there was no anger.

- Fine. Let's go home, we had an first aid kit somewhere there, - Chara sighned and moved to the Snowdin.

- Does that mean you actually forgave me? - I actually felt a little bit of hope, but it immediately got crushed by Chara's cold answer.

- No, this means that I don't want for you to die because of blood loss. Yet.

- You could've just say "No", you know.