Chapter 5

Age 13

Y/N L/N p.o.v

"Come on! Rematch!" I shake my head as I chug down my bottle of water. "Nah, too tired!" Bakugo groaned as he pulled me up from my sitting position. "Come on, Ghostie! Get up!" Ah, yes. Ghostie, is a wonderful nickname for me.

"One more round!" I sigh as I point at him. "You promise that we'll end training once we do this last round?" He nods at me as he wipes his sweaty hands on his black tank top. I stretch a bit before walking back to the open field in his backyard.

"Ready!" I ignore his words as I position myself in a fighting stance. "Go!" He ran straight at me with a right hook, I spun and kicked him in the abdomen. Bakugo was sent a few feet away before he came running back at me with his hands raised high.

I bend down as he swings his fist to punch my face, resulting in me kicking his calf and him dropping to the floor. Isn't it such a lovely day, a lovely day to do simple combat training with your brother figure and best friend in one?

"Again, Y/N!" I groan as I glare at him. "No! We said one round! One round for the first person to fall to the floor, and I won. Get over it and let me train by myself. You can train by yourself too! If you don't leave me alone, I'll tell Aunt Mitsuki!"

"Fine!" He took his sports bag and left in the direction of the gym, grumbling and yelling my name as if it were an insult. Finally, peace and quiet.

"Kai, mom, dad?" I say out loud, taking a towel from my sports bag and wiping my neck with it. Waiting for the three familiar ghostly spirits to arrive and accompany me.

"Ughhhhh, why are we here so early?"

"Hi, honey!"

"Let's get you well prepared for the exam in a few months."

"Oh right!"

"Then there is no time to waste!"

I smile at the three spirits floating around the empty field. "Maybe we should work on finding you a new quirk today. Perhaps we can visit your cousin, Jayla, she could lend you a good quirk." I nod my head at my father and make my way down the street.

Jayla Shichi, one of my cousins who is an American-Japanese mix, she's 20- or at least that's when she died. She died in a car crash on her way to pick up her mom from the hospital. She has an amazing yet simple quirk, water manipulation. As the title of the quirk says, she can manipulate the water to her liking, making cool shapes and objects from it, anything and whatever she wants.

"Then let's get going! I haven't seen her since we were in America several years ago!" I race with Kai down the street, taking lefts and right turns until we end up at the far end of the backyard. "Follow me." Mom grabs my hand as I hold on to hers, following her to the plain gravestone of the part-time teacher.

She lets go of my hand and knocks a few times on the ground, calling Jayla's name. On the third call of her name, her soul popped out from the ground the same way as if a vacuum were to suck dirt.

"Why wake me up so early-" The ghost rubs her eyes, pushing away the strands of blonde hair from her eyes, making a small opening for her to see.

"Y/N! Aunt L/N and Uncle L/N! And- I don't know who you are." Jayla runs up and lifts me up, spinning me in the air as if I were a toddler, only to end up pointing at Kai after propping me on my feet. Kai stands there in confusion as he starts to register what language Jayla is talking in.

"I," Kai points at himself as Jayla nods her head with a warm smile plastered on her face, wanting him to continue his sentence instead of leaving her hanging. "Kai Takashi." He brings down his hand and goes in front of her to shake Jayla's hand. Jayla chuckles appreciating the young man's attempt at communicating with her in English, accepting his open hand and shaking it.

"I am Jayla Jayla Shichi! It's nice to meet you, Kai Takashi!" She exclaims in Japanese, shocking Kai as he simply nods his head, left in confusion due to the fact that he had thought that she couldn't speak perfectly or in this case what sounds like fluent Japanese to him. Jayla turns her body to face me, Mom, and Dad.

"How can I help you, fellow family?" She floats in the air, bringing herself to fly around us in a circular motion.

"Well Jayla, I was wondering if you could maybe help your cousin with your quirk." She freezes and stares at the more masculine spirit, pointing to herself and scoffing.

"My quirk! You're going to take it, aren't you!?" She yells, growling and stomping her feet on the ground like a child who didn't get what they wanted from the toy store. Kai and I decided to make ourselves comfortable on the ground, knowing that it wouldn't take long for my parents to convince Jayla. We toss and turn as we watch the conversation between the two, with me explaining to Kai all the juicy details.

"No! No, no, no! That's not it, Jayla!" Dad starts as he starts convincing Jayla to help train me with her quirk. "What is it then!?" Dad sighs and motions Mom to talk for him as he massages his temples.

"Jayla, her quirk. Remember? The spirit one, the reason why she can see you right now." Jayla stops her tantrum and looks at my mom and lets out a small gasp and a small 'oh', tilting her head to the side as I wave at her. "Right! Her quirk! How could I forget!? Silly me! The accident really took a huge toll on me!" Dad sighs again as Mom nods her head and points in the direction of Kai and me.

"So do you think you could possibly help your cousin train with the quirk you have? We'll explain all the details of her quirk later on." Jayla stares at me as I look back with a smile on my face. She nods her head as Kai and I stand up from our once comfortable position on the cold ground.

"I'll help! I have nothing better to do anyways, that is other than talking to the other spirits around here." She switches back to Japanese as Kai nods his head in understanding, acting as if this were his conversation to begin with.

"So when do we start?" She faces Mom. "We can start now. Though we have to go back to the field." Jayla grabs hold of Mom's shoulders, placing both her hands on each side, shaking her furiously.

"Then what are we waiting for!? Let's go!"

"There's no time to waste when we have a hero in training! The best hero in training!"