7 | Cream of hearts

Chapter 7

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The afternoon sun was scorching hot and as usual, Raina was seated in the mansion's sun room — a new book nursed with one hand and a cold glass of juice in the other. Her hazel eyes skimmed through the words her brain refused to process due to the nagging issue at hand.

Releasing a low groan of frustration, Raina slammed the book shut, tossing it to one of the plush seats besides her, letting out a huff as she brought the foggy glass to her lips, the cold orange liquid flowing freely into her mouth and adding some sort of relief to her parched throat.

Raina enjoyed reading, of course. That was the only thing that kept her sane when she was not working her arse off; that was her favorite hobby. But she was tired, tired of having nothing to do.

Before Thea Addington had approached her, she was an employee —not to the best job or boss— but she had something doing. The past few weeks in the mansion had been adventurous but after taking her time to ponder, Raina realized that she needed to do something.

Roux Addington worked in a company she had no idea about and the children had school. Caldwell Loughty was in charge of preparing meals, Theodore Stancliff was the butler and even the chauffeur had something doing. But what about her?

What was left when she did not have to assist Caldwell Loughty in the kitchen or tend to Ethan and Emma Addington?

Nothing.

So with a newly found determination, Raina did not notice when her feet immediately took her out of the sunroom and descended the flight of stairs, approaching Roux Addington's office located further down the silent mansion.

Roux was working from home that day, for some reason unknown to her. After breakfast, the man had dissappeared into his private office and had not come out ever since and for a second, Raina thought against her actions but decided against it.

It was now or never.

And so releasing a shaky breath, she curled her slightly sweaty palm into a fist and knocked on the hard oakwood, three soft knocks sounding through the silent hallway.

Withdrawing her hand from the door, a frown formed on Raina's face as she got no reply in return and so after some moments of a mental argument, her fingers wrapped around the cold knob and she twisted it, pushing the massive door open.

Raina immediately sucked in a sharp breath as she was instantly met with the sight of Roux Addington, his eyes never leaving hers for a second as he held a sleek phone firmly to his ear. Raina shuddered slightly as she shut the door behind her, avoiding his eyes that had turned so gray they almost looked white.

Raina rolled her lower lip into her mouth as his voice came out even deeper as he spoke into the phone in an unknown language for what seemed like minutes.

" Mister Ad– "

A long finger was held up in return, cutting her sentence short before Roux Addington shoved his hand into his pocket once again, his scrutinizing gaze not helping as the smaller woman squirmed on the spot a few feet away from him.

" Demandez à votre assistant de m'envoyer les fichiers et je verrai ce que je peux faire..." Roux said again before ending the call and slipping the phone into the pocket of his pants.

Raina had no idea what the man before her had just spoken but nevertheless, he sounded fluent in it. Like he had either been taught by a professional, or was born into it.