11 | Hansel and Gretel

Chapter 11

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

It was another day in the Addington mansion. The busy morning where everyone had to prepare for the day. Roux Addington's shoes smacked against his office tiles as he walked back and forth from the massive shelf to his table, gathering the files he would need for the day.

A rap of knocks sounded on his door, wavering his focus for a moment and he let out a grunt, pulling the ball pen from its secured position behind his ear.

" Come in "

The oak doors were pushed open and Raina McCoy walked into the office quietly, shutting the door behind her before cautiously approaching Roux. She could see he was busy and on edge but she had matters which needed his attention.

" Good morning, Mister Addington " Raina greeted, clutching the paper in her hands and rolling her bottom lip between her teeth, biting on the flesh anxiously. Roux replied with another grunt as he bent to sign some papers on his desk.

" I want to speak to you. I need to ask you something. A suggestion ... " Raina said and Roux finally spared her a glance, his eyes zeroing on her thick wet hair as it dripped some water onto her shirt. Giving a curt nod, Roux turned back to his papers once again.

" Well ... " Raina trailed, her words stopping at the tip of her tongue as Roux instantly got up and headed back towards his shelf, a frown forming on his face as he pulled out flipped furiously through the pages of the stacked files.

Clearing her throat, Raina realized this was not the right time but Roux Addington had been busy all week and today was the day. Cautiously, Raina approached the tense man and slipped the flyer on the top of the file his eyes had been skimming through.

Pausing for a second, Roux accessed the flyer and picked it up with two of his fingers, flipping the cover over. It was all about a ballet show holding today at the ballet school Emma Addington attended. Cocking a brow, Roux tore his eyes away from the invitation flyer to stare at Raina.

" What is this about, Raina? You can see I am busy with this ... " He gestured at his scattered desk with slight frustration in his tone.

" Emma's ballet performance, it is today. I wanted to inform you some days ago but you were always busy with work and I just had to show it to you today b– "

" I am not free today, Raina. My work schedule this week has been tight and I have to get these files to the company and meet up with a client " Roux Addington pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration before taking a deep breath.

" So you cannot skip it for Emma? Just today. She had been working hard, hoping you would come watch her. What is more important than that? "

" You do not tell me how to raise my child and what I should and should not do, Missus McCoy. I am working this hard for them both and I am sure I could skip a ballet show. After all, Emma sees me every day " Roux defended, his teeth grinding together with a mixture of frustration and anger.

" Are you a father every day or a Business man, Mister Addington? " Raina shot back with a calm voice and Roux Addington's eye twitched while his nose flared slightly at her disrespect. She sure was testing his patience.

Snatching his briefcase in one hand and his stack of files in the other, Roux Addington stormed past her and out of the office, heading for work. With a sigh, Raina bent to pick the invitation which he had tossed away and she stared at it in silence, feeling disappointed.

If Roux Addington would not come along, then she was fine on attending Emma's event on her own.

The theatre which had been set up for the ballet show was decorated in an exquisite manner. Ribbons, bells, flowers and more adorned the stage. Raina tugged on the sleeves of her shirt nervously as she listened to the ballet master welcome the little girls and boys on stage.