22 | Nine Words

Chapter 22

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The morning sun was out, glowingly proudly and giving life to everything beneath it. It seeped through the spaces uncovered by the thick black curtains and illuminated the massive bedroom.

With a yawn, Raina rolled over on the soft mattress, taking a deep whiff of the scent that lingered in the room. Roux Addington's natural scent. She loved it.

Her eyes slowly fluttered open and she let out a yawn which caused her eyes to water slightly. She rubbed on her eyes as she slowly sat up on the bed, recognizing the room as Rouxs' causing her cheeks to heat up as she recalled what happened last night.

Roux and her had slept on the same bed and he had muttered sweet words to her. No one had ever promised to protect her before.

Not until Roux.

Face palming as she remembered that people had seen her break down last night, she shook her head and her eyes immediately caught on to a note on the nightstand which she picked up.

Good morning Raina, I hope you had a good sleep. By the time you see this, I have already left for work but I hope you feel alright, and if you don't, do not hesitate  to call me.

~ R.A ’

A smile spread out on her face as she read the note once again and brushed her fingers against the cursive handwriting scribbled down on the paper.

‘ It was beautiful, just like he was ’ she thought before mentally reprimanding herself, forcing herself to get up.

After dressing the bed which was the only thing left untidy in Rouxs' room, she left to her own room to take a quick shower before slipping into some comfortable clothing.

As she walked down the stairs, she could not help but notice how quiet the mansion was, meaning the children had already left for school. Raina felt a pang in her heart as she she recalled how scared and frightened they had looked last night. Because of her.

She was so lost in her thoughts and jerked backwards in shock when she felt herself bump into someone. Theodore Stancliff. He stood stoicly before her, the look in his eyes causing her to squirm in discomfort even if they gave out no emotion.

Her cheeks heated up in embarrassment when she realised he also witnessed her breakdown last night and she looked away, " I am sorry, sir "

Theodore was taken aback by the term she used on him. He might have been older but she was also his boss, albeit she made it seem like he was, " For what reason? "

" What happened last night. I can assure you it would not repeat again " She pursed her lips even if she was not sure. For some reason, she felt safe in Rouxs' arms - like her nightmares could not get to her.

The man arched his brow at her words and he cleared his throat and looked away. His fingers worked swiftly, unbuttoning the cuffs of his left sleeve and he ignored her questioning gaze as he pulled the sleeve up, showing her the numerous scars and burns that littered his arm and wrist.

She gasped in shock but the man did not flinch as he took the sleeve back down and buttoned up his cuff, " You simply cannot control what you cannot control, Mrs. Addington "

Her gazed flickered from his stoic face to his covered arm in shock, " How...how did you know? "

" I know a person with a past when I see one " He replied before walking away, leaving her standing there in shock. He was also abused as a child and from the slits on his wrist, he had probably attempted to take his life once before.