14 | As a Friend

Chapter 14

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The smacks of Raina's slippers against the tiles echoed throughout the hallway as she walked into the massive kitchen absent-mindedly. Her eyes immediately caught on to Caldwell Loughty who was stood before the sink quietly scrubbing some dishes.

The man worked a lot, that was for sure but the man was a chef. The thought of him cleaning around the kitchen didn't sit well with Raina and she silently approached him.

" Caldwell, I thought we made it clear that I am in charge of the dishes? " Raina folded her arms and the man cast her a side glance.

" And the laundry, and the kids, and Roux Addington. You don't see me dragging those with you, now do you? " He asked before puckering his lips to continue whistling his tune.

" Don't you have somewhere else to be? Seriously Caldwell, I can take this from here " Raina said as the dipped her hands into the foamy water.

" I put food on the plate, I take it out "

" Well then, I'm a hundred and one percent willing to snatch your job from you. Just imagine me dancing to some music as I spilled some flour on the tiles "

The man gasped in horror.

"- break some eggs on the countertop "

Another horrified gasp left the man's lips as he turned to stare at her in disbelief. His kitchen was something he never joked with. It had to be clean at all times and everything had to be kept in place, Raina McCoy surely had a death wish.

" Spill some sauce– "

" Okay fine, I get it. Enough! I rather be with Emily Chapman right now than here listening to all this cruelty " The man cast Raina a glare and she gave him a sheepish smile in return.

" Are you seeing someone, Caldwell? " Raina teased and the man waved dismissively before his face like he had perceived something rotten.

" My partner is my spatula. Nothing else, besides I can never see myself tending to a whiny woman's needs. Women are too much stress ", He cringed as he imagined himself as a married man and Raina McCoy broke into a hearty laugh.

She was oblivious to the fact the Caldwell Loughty was once a married man and he had three children with his now late wife, Grace Loughty. She was forty-three years old at the time of her death. She slipped down the staircase and ended up with a severed spine and skull.

Her passion had always been cooking, hence Caldwell Loughty decided to take over it; learn how to be a chef and it made him feel like he was still with her. Like the woman was still breathing. Whenever he held the spatula, it felt like he was holding her again and so he did what she used to do. Put a smile on people's faces with what he made. His meals.

" Besides, Emily Chapman is a fellow chef, just like me. But I cook way better than she does, she just does not like losing. Her problem, not mine " Caldwell shrugged as he dried his hands with a towel.

" See you tomorrow, Raina "

" Have a lovely night, Caldwell " Raina wished as the man slipped on his coat and walked out of the kitchen. She searched for more plates to wash and let out a groan when she discovered the man had washed them all.

She wondered why he never used the dishwasher. Caldwell Loughty was a man who loved doing things by himself and with his own hands. He was the type of man that would probably break his skin with a blade before seeking for help. He was stubborn.