CHAPTER : 1

"Soph wake up!"

"Sophia!"

I opened my eyes to my mother looking at me with a concerned face. I looked around and found myself lying on the kitchen floor.

"How did i get here?"

"You blacked out. I heard a loud thud and when I came to check, I found you lying here. What's wrong?"

Suddenly the memories of what had happened came to my mind. I started screaming.

"THE BOOK! THE BOOK!"

"What book? What are you talking about Sophia?"

"The book. Counter. Words darker. Watching." I said in between my sobs. I couldn't form a sentence.

Mother got up and walked over to the counter. She picked something up and handed it to me.

"You mean this magazine?"

A magazine. Of course it was. To say that i was relieved would be an understatement. The paranoia was seriously hitting me too hard.

"Sorry, I had a nightmare about a book and i might've misunderstood things."

"It's okay, dear. You don't need to apologise. Now, go back to bed. You have school tomorrow, remember?" She said, smiling.

"Yeah, I do. Goodnight mom"

"Goodnight soph" With that she walked away.

I went back to my room and sat on the bed. I didn't feel like sleeping. Not after what just happened. I can't believe I fainted on seeing a magazine. I need a distraction.
I picked up a coloring book. It belonged to my brother. My parents had bought it for him after seeing a documentary on how coloring might help a child's creativity. After a few tries, he eventually gave up on coloring and i was more than happy to take it for myself.

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock ringing. When did I sleep? I looked around and found my half colored drawing. I have to admit, I'm pretty talented.

I opened my closet, searching for an outfit to wear. I finally decided on a faded brown pants and gap sweatshirt with a small purse to keep my phone. I tied my light brown hair in a high ponytail. And wore my shoes.

Satisfied with my appearance, I went to the kitchen for breakfast

Satisfied with my appearance, I went to the kitchen for breakfast. I found my mom making pancakes. I've always loved her pancakes. Dad was busy reading the newspaper. My brother, Adrian, though only 5 years old, was very smart. I bet he gets it from me. He was telling mom about his day at the playground, how he managed to destroy a boy's sandcastle because the boy said he looked like an octopus. Dad wasn't too proud of it but mom had a hearty laugh at it.

After having my breakfast, I stood outside waiting for my best friend to pick me up.
Madison Paige was a victim of bullying. She never talked to anyone and was labeled as the "weird kid". I felt bad for her so I invited her to sit with me during lunch. From then, we were inseparable. Though she was quiet most of the time, I always felt like we had a strong connection.

A car honk pulled me out of my thoughts and i saw Madison's car on the driveway.

"Hey Maddie! How's it going?" I said getting inside the passenger seat.

She got her driver's license last month and since she has been my ride. I plan on getting one soon, just in case of emergency.

"Everything's fine. Let's get moving now. We wouldn't wanna be late for school"

Twenty minutes later, after she parked the car in the school driveway, I got out of the car and suddenly remembered about my dream.

"You know, I saw the scariest dream last night. Something about a book"

"What happened?" She looked at me with curiosity.

"That i had received a book through mail. The pages were blank except for one which said 'I AM WATCHING YOU'. It got darker and darker every second. And i think i heard voices too. It was really scary"

She asked me few more questions about my dream and sounded interested which was very rare. I don't know why she wanted to know the details. The bell rang and I pushed my thoughts away and made it through my class