CHAPTER : 21

I walked down the alley happily. I managed to get a good amount of discount for the essentials. I need to get a job asap else I won't be able to handle this burden.

I tried fishing my keys out of my pocket. I got my phone out when a notification popped up and saw 30 missed calls from Bella. I hurriedly called her, worrying deep inside if she was alright.

"Sophia!" She yelled as soon as she picked up.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"Where are you?" She asked in a dangerously low tone that sent chills down my body.

"Outside my house. Why?"

"Do not enter." She started screaming.

"Uh I think I can enter my own house Bella." I laughed it off and opened the door.

It was awfully quiet inside. "Maddie?" I called out.

"No no no no." I forgot I was still on call with Bella.

"Get out of here Soph. I'm serious. Stay away from Maddie."

"What's gotten into you now?"

"Look, I saw something. Through my window I saw her taking out-" The line went dead. Confused on what had happened, I starting thinking about it. It wasn't a prank, for sure. The seriousness in her voice was doubtless. But I don't know what she meant by Maddie being dangerous.

I placed my bag on the couch and started making my way upstairs slowly. I sighed realizing how stupid it was. I would go inside and find both Adrian and Maddie playing with his toys.

I opened the door to his room and found an unconscious Adrian tied to a chair in the middle of the room.

"Oh no!" I cried and ran towards him. I started pulling the ropes but it was too tight. Just then, the lights went out. I got more scared by every passing second.

The light sound of footsteps echoed outside the room. Before getting any time to think, I jumped in the closet and shut the door. I had to stay hidden for saving him.

The sounds stopped suddenly and silence filled the room. It was so silent that I could hear my own heart beating. I couldn't even debate with myself on why was she doing this. I was so scared for mine and Adrian's life.

"Where are you Sophia?" Maddie's voice was the only thing I could hear.

"I know you are hiding in here somewhere.  You could come out on your own before something bad happens."

I could hear her pacing back and forth. I quickly got my phone out and dialled 911.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"Help me" I whispered.

"Ma'am, what exactly is the problem?"

"Please help me. There's a killer in my house." I tried keeping my sobs quiet.

"Tell me your address and we'll send help. Please remain hidden."

Just when I was about to tell them my address, the closet door opened. I moved deep inside. She chuckled softly and stepped inside.

I looked up and faced her, surprised to see a gun in her hand, pointing directly at me.

"Maddie." I breathed out.

She grabbed my hand aggressively and pulled me out. I fell backwards due to the harsh impact, only to be hit by the wall. She held me by the throat. I struggled for air.

"I always advised you to keep away from her. But you never did. I tried so hard to protect our friendship and you both just had to ruin it. I did everything to make her look guilty. Yet you chose her over me" By the last sentence she was yelling.

"You did what?" I choked out the words.

She laughed and replied, "The journal, soph. Who do you think did that?" She released her hands from my throat. I couldn't believe what she said. All this time, it was her! My best friend.

"I thought you were my best friend." My tears started falling rapidly. I felt like somebody had stabbed me in the back.

"I thought so too. It was a joke at first but seeing you guys together, it hurt me. You hurt me Sophia! You deserve getting hurt."

"My parents?" My voice came out small. I didn't want to listen to her answer.

"Yes" I looked at her in the eyes. She barely looked human. All the compassion and kindness I've always felt with her was gone. She was cold and inhuman and it scared me to death.

I looked at the side for Adrian but there was no sign of him. I panicked and caught Maddie watching me with delight.

"You are a walking trouble." She held up an iron rod from behind and walked closer to me. I started backing away but she held my wrists tight. I screamed loudly. "Help! Please!"

"This isn't the end. I'll always be watching you." She smiled and swinged the rod. I felt the pain radiate through my head. My body started getting weak until I collapsed and pitch darkness welcomed me.