CHAPTER : 8

I couldn't sleep. No matter how hard I tried, no matter how sleepy I felt. I just couldn't. I looked outside the window. It was 01:00 in the morning and everything looked so peaceful. I opened the window pane and jumped outside. I sat on the extended roof by the guest room.

I could barely hear anything. Everyone must be sleeping or minding their own business, finding a recreational activity to lead themselves away from boredom. But who knows, there might be a person sitting outside feeling numbness inside. Just like me. I laughed at the fact that nobody knew what was going inside someone's head. What a person was going through. And that perfection was nowhere near to be found.

I kept thinking about random memories that came into my mind. The blurry memory of my first day at school, teaching Adrian how to ride his bike, baking cookies with Maddie, camping with my family. Few days ago, everything seemed so normal. A happy family of four. Nothing could break us part. But here we are..

I stood up and went inside. I had been out for 2 hours. Time does fly by quickly. I looked at a soundly-sleeping Adrian. He looked so peaceful and innocent. I hate to be the one telling him the truth. But I knew I had to. I always had the urge to protect him from the world. He was my precious baby brother. I couldn't protect him anymore. Reality hit us harder than ever. My mother's death wasn't something I thought I'll have to go through. I wondered how my dad was keeping up. I decided to talk to him in the morning.

I went to the kitchen to make myself some coffee. I pulled my phone out. No calls or messages. I kept it back inside and stared at the table. How did I get myself in this situation?

I was sipping my coffee when I heard a click sound. I hadn't been paying attention so I couldn't make out where the sound had come from. I looked around and found no one. Maybe I was hearing things? If this had happened a few days ago, I would've believed it. But not anymore.

I quickly got up and went upstairs to check on my brother, just in case it was really an intruder. I entered the room and found the window wide open and the journal laying on the floor. I made sure to not make any noise. I picked it up and threw it outside. I had no intention of going through it. I closed the window and went to Madison's room. She was sleeping peacefully so I decided to talk to her after she wakes up.

From the very beginning, I opened the journal, went through it, reacted to it. And this was my biggest mistake. I was giving Bella, a chance to be vulnerable. Showing that she exerts more power on me. I'll never let this happen again.

"Good morning"

I looked around and found a woman standing there. She looked young. A thought crossed my mind, what if she was the one who put the journal inside? I did hear a sound.

"Sorry, who are you?"

"I could ask you the same thing. It's my house." Wait, what? Is she? Madison's mom?

"You're Madison's mother?"

"Sure i am" she chuckled at me.

"Oh, I am her friend."

She smiled at me and said, "Looks like Madison's still sleeping. You can go back to sleep or I'll make something for you to eat."

"It's alright. I need to go and visit my dad. Can you please keep an eye out for my brother sleeping in the guest room?"

"Yeah sure."

With that I ran out of the house. I realized Maddie was my ride here so I started walking. It was really early. So I took my time reaching the hospital.

I was having so many conflicting thoughts at once. I still couldn't believe any of this was real. It's crazy how things change.

As I neared the hospital I could see a familiar figure down the road. Tears started rolling down my face. It was Bella.

She spotted me and gave me a sympathetic smile.

"Hey, I was trying to contact you-"

Before she could finish her sentence, I punched her hard. I almost felt shocked at my behavior. But nothing could be justified considering the events that have been happening recently.

"HOW DARE YOU DO THAT TO ME? I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY FRIEND!" I couldn't help myself. Everything came naturally.

"First of all, ouch! Second of all, what are you talking about Sophia?"

"Tell me honestly, and I won't be asking this again. Are you or are you not the reason behind my mother's attack?"

She kept quiet and looked at me sobbing. I was waiting for her to deny it but she didn't.

"Are you behind the journal too?" I asked, my voice almost a whisper.

"Sophia, I-" She opened her mouth to continue but shut it, proving my accusation.

"I thought you were my friend." I ran into the hospital.

Maddie was right. It was her, all along. She paved her way into my life, and for what? For mere entertainment!

I went to the restroom to wash my face. I stood there looking at the mirror for 1 minute and observed myself. I didn't even know whose clothes were these. I don't remember changing them. I don't even remember braiding my hair.

I sighed and bent down, splashed water all over my face and looked up. I screamed at the image. There was a man standing behind me dressed in black. I turned my head slowly and found no one standing there.

"I swear there was someone." I kept repeating it hysterically.

I turned around again and could hear someone standing behind. I could practically hear my heart beating. They whispered. "I am watching you Sophia."