CHAPTER : 14

I jolted up feeling warmer than ever. I sighed realizing it was just a dream. Who even were the Blocks?

"Hey, what's wrong?" I looked at a yawning Bella sleeping next to me.

"Nightmare" I said slowly and she nodded.

"I should drop you home. She'll be wondering where you are." She said getting out of bed.

"I'm thinking of coming back here." I said smiling. She returned the gesture and walked out of the room.

"Come out front. I'll get the car." I stood outside and saw her getting out of the driveway. I got in and she drove off.

"Can I invite Madison over?" I asked. I know Maddie doesn't like her but I can't just stop hanging out with her.

"Yeah sure." She said, her eyes fixed on the road. Soon we reached and I got out telling her to wait for me here.

I knocked and waited for a few seconds. The door flew open and an expression-less Emma stood there. Her faced filled with confusion as she looked me up and down

"How did you get here?" She asked and looked over my shoulder at Bella.

"Um. I went out to meet a friend. I'll be staying at hers by the way."

"Yeah sure as long as your safe."

I smiled as just as I was about to go she called my name.

"Yeah?"

"The hospital called. Visitors aren't allowed at the moment."

I nodded sadly and went towards the car. I wanted to visit him in the afternoon. But why all of a sudden this change? Maybe it has got something to do with the officer's death.

I sat in and gave her the address to Maddie's house.

"What about your brother?"

"Emma thinks it'd best if he's with an adult." I said.

We reached Maddie's house and got out. I saw her watching from her room's window. She waved at me smiling. Her smile disappeared when her eyes fell on Bella.

"You stay here. I'll talk to her first." I said and gave her a warming smile.

She nodded in understanding. I walked towards the door which opened as soon as I got there. I made my way inside and looked back at Maddie holding the door knob.

"You have some explaining to do." She crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"It's not her. She didn't do anything."

"What makes you say that? She's feeding you lies, ain't she?" She raised her eyebrows at me. I wanted to believe Bella much more than anything but Maddie wasn't even trying to warm up with her.

"Somebody's out there blackmailing her. None of this was her fault. You have to believe me."

"Why do you trust her so much? You don't even know her!" She was practically screaming at this point.

"Just because I do!"

"I don't even know what's gotten into you anymore. You've changed." She made a face of disgust and walked away.

"I trust her Maddie. I know she won't do anything. It's somebody else. And we have to find out who's behind all of this. "

"You don't have to drag her into this. She's nothing but mere trouble. The sooner you realize this, the better." I made my way towards her, who was now sitting on one of the couch.

"She cares for me. She wants to help me!"

"She doesn't care about you. She's just trying to get close to you so she can just mess up your life even more." She shouted in my face. I've never had an argument with her. Let alone this intense! It made me want to cry.

"No! She's helping me whether you like it or not. If you want to help me too, we can just forget whatever happened right now and move on to our actual work." My voice didn't come out as strong as I wanted it to be but I guess the words worked. Her face warmed up.

"Why?" She asked with a look of concern. I didn't expect her to ask this. I thought she was okay now.

"What?"

"Why are you doing this? Choosing her over me?"

"I'm not choosi-"

"Yes you are! I'm asking you to stay away from her. But here you are, arguing with me. It hurts."

I tried explaining how she was wrong but she walked towards me. Her eyes glistening with tears.

"When you'll really want to listen to what I have to say, then come and talk to me." With that she walked away, leaving me all alone.