CHAPTER : 18

I was tapping my foot impatiently for the past three hours. Bella was taken to the emergency unit. They said there was a chance she might survive but weren't too sure as she had lost a large amount of blood.

"You're here with Bella?" I stood hurriedly on the mention of her name.

"Yeah. How is she? Is she-" I couldn't say it.

The doctor smiled and a sense of relief flooded throughout my body. "She's alive, thanks to you. You found her at the right time. One more minute of delay and she would've died."

I hugged him tight. "You saved her." Tears flooded from my eyes. I was never a cry baby but I guess, people change?

He patted my head and allowed me to see her. I slowly made my way to her room. She was looking outside the window and had no idea I was in here. I knocked on the door and watched her gaze shift to me. As soon as she saw me, she broke down. I walked up to her and held her tight.

"I'm sorry." She kept saying. I wiped her tears and sat on the chair.

"It's okay. What matters is you're alive."

"I don't know why I did it. Seeing you suffer was hard, Soph. I couldn't bear it and it was the only way."

"No. You can't say this. Please don't do this again." She nodded and closed her eyes.

"Look at me Bella." I caressed her hair and said softly, "You have no idea how scared I was. Seeing you in that situation, just like I saw my parents. They didn't make it and I was afraid you wouldn't too. I don't want to lose you."

"I'm sorry." Seeing her cry made me upset. I almost cursed me for saying it. But she needed to know and never repeat it again. Losing her too would be unbearable.

"I know." She closed her eyes and dozed off. I held her hand and watched her sleep.  She went through a lot of pain just to save me. It could've made it stop but I didn't want it to end with three of my closed ones dying.

I got up and walked outside. I didn't even know what I was feeling anymore. This was a lot to take in. I mentally debated on how to tell this to Adrian.

The sound of my phone ringing broke my thoughts. Without even looking, I picked it up.

"Hey Soph! What happened? I tried calling you so many times. Why did the hospital call?"

"Oh hey Emma!" I felt stupid for not telling her sooner. I kinda did leave her on hold.
"Dad. He-" I stopped myself from saying it.

It would've looked ridiculous from someone else's point of view. It seemed like a daily routine, but it was far from it. I missed mom so much and now that dad was gone too, I couldn't bear talk about it. I tried pushing it past me as far as I could.

"Oh I'm sorry. Should I come pick you up?" Her soothing voice was pleasant. I rejected her help and explained everything that had happened. She made me promise to call her for a lift when Bella recovered.

I went back inside and found Bella awake. Her lips formed a smile and I returned the gesture.

"The sun's setting. We've been here for a whole day." She commented and let out a tired laugh.

"I almost lost you." I whispered. The warm touch of her hands held my face upright. "I'm sorry for everything. I'll never do that to you." She promised.

I nodded my head yes and looked outside the window.

The nurse came for the timely medications.
"You're ready to leave. But before that, the hospital wants you to consult a specialist for your early behavior. He can help you." She had a concerned look on her face. You could tell she was a dedicated mother. And knowing what happens with kids these days might break her heart.

"It's alright. That was stupid. I didn't mean to. And I'm not suicidal." Bella smiled and tried getting up slowly. Once she was on her foot again, she went inside the co-joined bathroom to change her clothes. I packed her things and waited for her. The nurse smiled at me warmly and whispered a "take care of her" before leaving.

The bathroom door opened and Bella stood out, giggling and struck a pose. I waved her off and laughed.

She held her hand out and smiled, "Shall we?"

I received her hand and started walking out, "we shall." Oh, the deja vu.