CHAPTER : 10

I woke up to my dad calling.

"Sophia wake up! We have to go."

Go where? That's when I remembered, today was my mother's funeral. I checked the time. I only had 2 hours of sleep. Sleeping was getting more and more difficult for me.

I was still traumatised by what had happened. I had seen the shadow of a man. I had heard the words come out of his mouth but the doctors said it was just the after effect of an event like this. But it felt so real that I was scared to be left alone.
I went back to Maddie's house after that. Dad came back too.

I quickly put on an all black outfit and tied my hair in a ponytail. I didn't bother looking at myself before leaving.

The funeral went in a blink of an eye. I wasn't even paying attention for the most part. The constant feeling that someone was watching me gave me chills.

I looked around just in time to hear the snap of a camera just like the last time.

I decided to ignore it and look at my mother for the last time.

The funeral ended following the condolences from other people whom i barely knew. I looked at Adrian who had dark circles under his eye. I felt so bad for him.

I walked upto my dad. "Should I take Adrian home? He needs to sleep."

"Yeah sure. Thanks." He said slowly giving me the house keys. I've never seen him this sad. I wiped my own tears and grabbed Adrian's hand and went outside.

"We're going home and you can take rest. Alright?"

"Yup"

We reached home and I made him sleep. He whined a bit saying how much he missed mom and asked when she'll be back. I struggled to hold back my tears and told him that she was in a better place now.

After he finally slept, I went to my room. I opened the door and saw the journal. Why does she keep doing this to me. I cried.

I opened it and saw the words getting darker. Was she playing some kind of a sick joke with me? How did she even knew about this? I flipped the pages and found two pictures attached. These were of me. I wasn't imagining the sounds. It was real this whole time.

There was a note attached to it.

You thought ignoring me was the right answer? No! You'll suffer for your mistake.

She can't be serious. I quickly got up to find my phone. Just as I found it, I dialled Bella's number. She picked up within a few seconds.

"Sophia?" Her voice was scared.

"Why are you still doing this to me bella?" I cried.

"Sophia. I'm so sorry for whatever's happening but I can't tell you anything." Her voice was breaking. I felt bad for her but got replaced by hurt. Hurt that she, my so-called friend would do this to me.

"What's going on?"

"I'm sorry." With that she hung up.

I stood there, recollecting what had happened. She was crying and apologizing for everything. She still cared. Why would she do this then?

I got out of my room. I couldn't be here. Knowing the journal is still here.

I went down the stairs and found my dad sitting on a chair facing the door with his head hung down. Was he sleeping? I had a terrible feeling about this. It was so unlike him.

"Dad? Is everything okay?" He didn't move. I went upto him slowly. That's when I noticed the liquid on the floor. It took every emotion in me to not think about what I was suspecting but I was right. There was blood dripping off him.

I heard scream from behind and saw Adrian standing there, his eyes wide open.

"Adrian grab a phone!" I shouted.

He came back hurriedly with a phone in his hand. I quickly called the ambulance and held my dad's hand while we waited.

"I'm so sorry. It's all my fault" Tears started falling on his shoulders.

The sound of sirens made me run out of the house. I told them everything as fast as I could. And they took him to the hospital.

"Miss, can I have a word with you?" I looked up and saw Officer Rodriguez.

"Yeah sure."

"This is the second time this happened to your family. And it's no coincidence. Someone's definitely out there wanting to kill you all. Now, I want you to tell me everything. And I mean, every single detail."

"Okay. So recently-"

"Hold that thought. Let's go back to a more secure place. I don't want anything happening to you just because you gave us some valuable information." He said walking away to his car.

"We're going right now?"

"Yes. Right now."

"What about my brother?"

"It'd be good if he stays with some officers. We need to give him full security. You can join him after our conversation." He gave me a weak smile and started walking to his car. I followed and sat on the passenger seat. I rested my head by the window and closed my eyes. This is too much.