Chapter 10

Ara's POV

One of the new guards comes over and hands me more paper and pens.

"Thank you," I smile at him and my eyes begin to memorize his face. I'm determined to get all of these sickos behind bars when we escape. No amount of money is worth taking away someone's freedom unless they've done a wrong deed, and Jamie and I are only here to fulfill Levi's twisted supervillain fantasies.

The new guard simply nods and walks away. I pull the paper and pens onto my lap. I haven't really written songs. I used to a long time ago, but I never let anyone hear them. They were my own private thing. I never felt confident about them anyway. Plus they were way too immature.

I stare at the blank paper and my find my mind just as empty as the sheet. I pick up my guitar close my eyes and start strumming random chords. The notes fill my soul and I start to hear the loose frame of the song in my mind. I start deliberately strumming and start writing down chord progressions. Before I know it I have the music down. I look up at Jamie and he smiles at me.

"That sounds lovely," he says softly and I grin.

"Thanks! Now all we need are words and your foot lives to walk another day," I tease.

"Ha, ha very funny," he says unamused.

I shrug and turn back to my paper. I look over the chords and the little doodles of flowers and ivy leaves I've drawn throughout the paper. Suddenly Jamie places his notebook on top of my chords.

"I've written some lyrics to go with your music," he says. I glance down at them and he comes over to sit beside me.

"Okay, you play and I'll come in with my words and the coordinating tune and see if you can pick it up," Jamie instructs. I pick my guitar and start strumming the intro. It's what I like to call a mellow upbeat song. I start the vamp and go for a few bars before Jamie starts.

He looks at me and flashes a grin before singing:

"I was walking along the sidewalk one day,

and then I heard you shouting my name,

I never saw it before,

and now I suddenly wanted more,

and now all that I can think to say is,

Whoa, there you are su-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-un-shine,

standing there just lost in your ti-i-i-i-i-i-i-ime,

And I- I-, wanna be the first in li-i-i-i-i-i-i-ine

Just to say ,

that I hope,

that I hope you'll be... mine"

I'd almost forgotten how beautiful is voice is but just his beginning sends shivers up and down my back. It's amazing. I pay closer attention to the words now and start to tweak my chords to better match his lyrics. I quickly pick up the tune and start musically improvising along with him as he keeps singing.

"I'm hard to think, that I'd never seen you before,

and all I see now, is you closing your front door,

how can I, I make you, see me no-ow,

how can I, I stand out, from the cro-owd,