Chapter 23

Previously,

Ara's adrenaline rush kicked out and she's got some sort of virus in her. She's in a lot of pain and they're about to give her morphine. Also, the Jensons suspect Jaime, not Levi, is behind everything and are waiting for the FBI to come and interrogate him.

Carter's POV.

The morphine goes in Ara and her eyes drift close. The intense pain on her face relaxes and we all let out a collective sigh of relief. The nurse insists that she's fine and that the relief from the pain just overwhelmed her. 

I look over and see Cole's got his hands wrapped around one of hers. I glance around the room and take a deep breath knowing that she is safe an that she is being taken care of. Ara's adrenaline rush might be over, but mine's just kicking in.

I turn on my phone and exit into the hall. I call Lily, the FBI agent I've been coordinating with. 

"Hey Lily, it's time to question Jaime," I say and walk over to the elevator and press the button to call it.

"Doesn't Ara want you to wait for her?" Lily asks in confusion.

"No, I'm taking care of this now. I'll be there in two." I hang up and put my phone in my pocket. 

"Wait, Carter," I turn around and see Ryder running up to me, "Whatever you're doing I'm coming with you."

"Wh-"

"I feel useless in there which means you are definitely feeling useless so I figured you're up to something and I want to help." Ryder insists.

"Ryder-"

"Don't. What are we doing?" Ryder asks as the elevator opens and he walks in. I lock eyes with him and see the desperation to do something. The same look my eyes must have right now.

I push the button for Jaime's floor, "Questioning Jaime. Ara thinks he's behind this. He-"

"I know," Ryder interrupts for the millionth time, "what can I do?"

"Agent Lily and I are going to question him now. We have to get him to admit it of his own free will in his own words or his confession will be useless. If you can think of anything to say that will make him say it, then go for it."

The elevator doors open and Agent Lily is there.

"Carter. His parents just left to get lunch so it's an opportune window. This is agent Tony, he has a background in psychology and will be analyzing Jaime as we interrogate him. We'll obviously be recording the whole exchange, we have an agent in there briefing Jaime right now. Currently, Jaime has no reason to suspect we suspect him of anything, if he is in fact behind any of this - we questioned Levi earlier today and he gave us nothing so if it's just Levi, than we have to be wary of causing Jaime unnecessary trauma."

I nod my head and grit my teeth," Right."

Agent Lily narrowed her eyes, "See this is why Ara wanted to be here. She knew you wouldn't give Jaime the benefit of the doubt."

I shook my head, "I have a gut feeling that Ara is right. I just. Trust me, I will beg for Jaime's forgiveness if I  come across too rough and it's not true, but, please. You have to let me do this. I- I can't help in any other way. This is what I know. Please, Lily."

Lily nods her head, "Fine, you've got five minutes with him and then I'm going to take over."

I nod my head and walk into Jaime's room. He smiles at me when I walk in.