Chapter 15

Ara's POV

I finally calm myself down and take several deep breaths. I sit up and lean my head against Jaime's chest. There's still a heartbeat. He's still alive. And so am I. Breathe.

I suddenly hear sirens going off in every direction. Jaime bolts up in surprise at the loud , booming noise and I throw my arms around him.

"Thank heavens you're okay," I whisper and I can feel angry hot tears rolling down my cheeks.

"I'm okay, Ara, are you did he...?" Jaime's voice comes out raspy and I lean back on my heels and shake my head. Flashes of what just happened fun throw my mind but I shake them off. 

"What are these sirens?"

"I have no-" I start but the door bursts open and I whip my head around to face the incoming men. They're decked out in military uniforms and have their guns out and pointed laser things. Their lasers swoop upon us and the lead guy drops his gun.

"Arabella Jenson?" He asks. And I nod my head rapidly.

"Yeah, that's me," I wheeze out, my heart racing.

"We've come for the both of you, we are with the United States Marines, you are safe now,"

Everything happens in a blur. I hear shooting outside the window and there's firing back and fourth. I don't want anyone to die. No one. Not for me.

The room starts to spin and colors and faces are blending together.

"Come on, Ara," Jaime insists but I'm frozen in my spot. What if someone dies trying to protect me. Guns. Shooting. That ends lives.

"Ara?!" And that's the last thing I hear before I pass out.

I blink my eyes open in a dimly lit room. It takes a minute for my eyes to adjust to the light. I see the outline of a man jump up and approach me.

"Ara? Thank god you're awake," I recognize Jaime's voice and feel pressure on my hand, it takes a few more minutes but I'm back to consciousness.

"What happened? Where are we?" I ask, glancing around the room, not recognizing anything.

"We've been rescued, Ara, by the US marines. They've also taken Levi into custody as well as his accomplices, we're gonna be okay. They're taking us back to Boston," Jaime explains.

I look at my arms and see them strapped down," why am I restrained?"

"We're on a massive sub, it's in case we moved around or anything, I think," Jaime says.

"Oh. Okay. Wait, why'd I pass out?" I ask.

"Heat stroke, most likely, you were wearing a lot of clothes for 100 degree weather," Jaime explains.

Memories of what happened start to flood back into my mind and I start shaking and sweating in fear.

"Ara?" Jaime asks and then he grabs my hand," Ara listen to my voice. Come back. Breathe. Come on, breathe with me. In. Out. In. Out,"

His voice lulls me back to reality and this ship and I breathe along with him and calm down.

I blow out a long breathe and sigh," okay, get me out of these restraints, I'm fine now, I promise."

Jaime nervously rubs the back of his head," gee, Ara I don't know if that's a good idea,"

"I'm fine, Jaime, I promise," I insist. He hesitates and I sit up and lean close and give him my biggest puppy dog eyes, "I need to get out of this room, please let me."