Chapter 2

Cole's POV
I can't believe I completely forgot to visit my grandfather in the past several weeks. I guess I was a bit occupied. But that's still no excuse. Thank god Ara remembered.

Thank god for Ara in general. I'm so unbelievably smitten by her. I feel so lucky to be with her.

My girl insisted that I go straight after school and that she'd find her ride home, so with a sweet kiss goodbye I sped off to my grandpa's house.

As I pull into his driveway grandpa rolls out from underneath his car. He always says he finds his serenity working on cars.

I park and climb out as grandpa whistles.

"Well look what the car dragged in," Grandpa teases.

I smile, "hi grandpa."

I hug him and he hugs me back tightly. They say a six second hug is all you need to feel how much someone cares for you. It seems like my entire life has been sustained by grandpa's hugs.

"So what's her name?" Grandpa asks.

I step out of the hug and look at grandpa incredulously, "what?"

"Don't make me repeat it boy," grandpa wipes his hands on his jeans and leans against his car.

"Her name is Arabella Jenson, Ara for short," I smile just saying her name.

Grandpa smiles at me and nods. That's all we say.

"How are you treating this beauty," Grandpa steps forward and taps the good of my Jeep.

"Really well, she runs pretty smooth," I comment knowing whatever I say is just air. Like always, Grandpa opens up his hand and I toss my keys to him.

"I'll be the judge of that," Grandpa states exactly as he always does.
He turns on the Jeep and ducks behind the wheel, analyzing all the buttons.

This routine is so repetitive I could do it in my sleep. The same lines we spout, the same actions, the same feelings. A shiver runs down my spine at the thought of the familiarity of it all. I find comfort in our exchanges.

Once Grandpa finishes analyzing everything from the tires to the plates, he locks the car and tosses me my keys.

"Looking good, son," Grandpa comments.

"I've learned from the best," I comment.

"That you did," Grandpa nods, "come help me with this engine."

We spend an hour working on the car, talking about football, other cars, movies and more.

When Grandpa decides we've made decent progress he gets us some of his infamous lemonade that he freshly squeezes every morning - it's his favorite beverage.

"Maybe we'll make a mechanic outta you yet," Grandpa says as we settle down on his porch with our glasses.

"Nah, I'm more the sensitive type," I grin and take a big gulp. Ahhh, I've missed this.

"That you are," Grandpa agrees and chuckles softly.

"Grandpa," I start softly. I take a deep breath," so I've wanted to a an artist my entire life and I sent in a piece to this art competition and I won and my piece is being entered into the Museum of Modern Art next weekend and I would love it if you could come."

Grandpa blinks at me, slowly processing it. I nervously anticipate his reaction. The biggest smile I've ever seen from him comes across his face and he clasps my face with both of his hands.

"I'm so proud of you, son, so incredibly proud. I love you and of course I'll come," Grandpa leans over in his chair and hugs me.

Happy tears prick the corner of my eyes but I hold them back. My heart soars and I feel so free. Grandpa releases me and pats me on my back.