Chapter 3

Ara
I take in my surroundings and can't believe where I am.
My old house. In Maryland! This is where they decided to take me!

"Boss-man said to take Ara to her room until he's ready for her," Ralph instructs. My kidnappers all nod in agreement and I am taken through the house I've grown up in.

I'm shocked to find everything the way we left it. All the furniture, the dishes, tv - everything. Just the personal touches are gone. It's like a barren shell of my home. I never thought I'd dread being here.

I'm guided to my room and my old bed. It seems so strange to think that mere weeks ago I lived here on such different terms.

I instantly plop down on the bed and the roll under the covers. The usual amount of comfort I get from my old bed brings me some peace of mind. But my mind is racing.

There's one thing I know for certain: I have to be on constant alert and outsmart them to get out. I'm not a kid anymore - it's gonna have to be up to me to save myself.

Two unfamiliar guards are in the room with me, watching me with their arms crossed and impassive faces.

"Hi," I awkwardly state. They just stare at me. I take a deep breath, "I'm Ara, but I guess you know that, what are your names?"

They continue to stare at me. I sigh,

"Look, I know you guys are human brings with lives and histories. I'm sure you all have your reasons for kidnapping me...well, unless you just have a personal vendetta against happiness,"

They continue to blankly stare at me.

"Fine," I huff and lay back on the bed.

"Fred," I sit back up and the guy on the left is smiling at me, "I'm Fred."

"Fred, what are you doing?" The second guard asks.

"The least we can do is tell her our name. Besides what is she gonna call us if she needs us?" Fred answers.

The second guard rolls his eyes, "fine for those purposes, you may call me Fred number two."

"Seriously?" Fred asks.

"I'm not gonna incriminate myself," Fred 2 answers.

"Too late," I mumble.

"Shut it." Fred 2 snaps," get to sleep now."

"I'm starving," I complain," we've been in the car for like eight hours. It's dark outside. I haven't eaten since like 2 or no like 11. I'm a growing girl. I have needs!"

Fred 2 groans," alright I'll see what we can arrange. Stay here and don't let her move."

Fred nods his head as Fred 2 exits the room.

"Isn't he just a ray of sunshine," I mumble and Fred's mouth twitches as if he wants to smile but doesn't.

"Why are you doing this Fred?" I ask.

"I have my reasons," Fred simply states.

"But-" I start but Fred glares at me.

"I'm not gonna give anything away, so you might as well save your breath," Fred states.

"Right," I roll up in a ball and try to keep it together. I don't want to cry and I certainly don't want Fred to see me cry.

Fred sighs and comes over towards me, "look Ara, none of us want to hurt you-"

"By keeping me away from my family you are hurting me!" I exclaim.

"Shhhh," Fred warns and I sit up, realizing he might actually be giving me some information, "we don't want to physically harm you."