2: Mouth Shut, Fewer Bruises

I shook my head again. These two doctors, Dr Robbins and Dr Grey-Shepherd, were asking me questions about my life at home with my 'parents'. Obviously I wasn't going to tell them. Karin always said 'Mouth shut, fewer bruises': if you talk, you get punished. If you don't tell anyone what happens, you don't get any more than usual. Simple.
But maybe these people could get me out. They were doctors, they had to have some connection to social services or something.
'If I tell you,' I said, quietly, 'You have to promise me I never have to go back there or see them again. Ever.'
'Who? Where?' Dr Grey-Shepherd looked confused.
'She means her home and her parents. Come on, Meredith, these bruises are from them hitting her.'
I nodded and fought back tears for the millionth time that day.
'Ok, sweetie,' Dr Robbins said, 'You can tell us, and we'll never make you see them again. Or go home again.'
I stared at her for a minute. 'Ok.'

'I was adopted two months ago. They get drunk and make me cook and clean for them, and hit me and kick me and whatever. Nothing too serious. Except when Karin broke my arm. And when they pushed me... down the stairs, they did that twice, I was out cold for five minutes the second time.'
I bit my lip. 'Oh, I'm sorry, did I say something wrong? I didn't mean...'
'No, it's ok, sweetie,' said Dr Robbins, calmly, not making eye contact, and I relaxed slightly. They couldn't get me here. At all.
'Look, I'm going to get you a CT scan and run some tests,' said Dr Grey-Shepherd, 'And then we'll call social services and see what we can do to get you away from them. Alright?'
I nodded, and a moment later two nurses appeared and soon I was lying a huge scanner.

After half an hour of being put through various machines, my test results came back, and Dr Grey-Shepherd came in looking concerned and holding a clipboard.
'Hey, Lola,' she said, scribbling something onto her form, 'It looks like one time when you've been... hit, it's caused a brain bleed.'
I gasped and felt my chest go tight.
'No, no, it's okay,' Dr Grey-Shepherd gave a half smile, 'It's only a very minor bleed and it can be fixed with a very simple operation. My husband is one of the best brain surgeons in the US and he'll be operating on you. Of course, there is a bit of a risk, there is with all surgeries, but you should be absolutely fine. Three, maybe four days of recovery and there you go, we can hand you over to social services and you can go. And we've made sure your parents...'
'They're not my parents.'
'No, sorry. Your... guardians, you never have to see them again.'
I sighed. 'So, when's the surgery?'
'We're scheduling for a couple of hours,' she said, 'But I'm going to bring my husband, Dr Shepherd, in to talk to you about the procedure.'
'Can you or Dr Robbins or that Latina lady be here?'
'I've got surgeries now, but I'll make sure Dr Robbins and Dr Torres are in here with you when he comes. But I promise you, he's amazing. We have two kids of our own, you know.'
I smiled and bit my lip. 'Thanks.'
'Do you need anything? Water? Food? Juice? Whatever you want.'
I shook my head and stared at her. You can't ask adults to do things for you, it's rude.
'Alright, well if you need anything, get the nearest nurse who doesn't look as if they're rushing anywhere. Ok?'
I nodded again and she left.

I was thirsty, but I couldn't ask anyone for anything, so I slipped out of my room to try and find a water fountain or something.
'What do you think you're doing?' A fierce-looking nurse asked.
'Um, I...' I became aware of how conspicuous I looked in my hospital gown all bruised and cut with my arm in a sling, 'Water... I was... thirsty...'
'Then ask a nurse, kid,' she rolled her eyes, 'Gee. It's not hard.'
'I... I'm sorry, I'm sorry...'
'Whoa, kid,' she stared at me as I once again steeled myself not to cry, 'Calm down, I'm not gonna do anything. Go back to bed, I'll bring some water.'
I shuffled back to my room and the nurse brought me a plastic cup of water. I thanked her and she left, just as Dr Robbins returned with the man who I presumed was Dr Grey-Shepherd's husband and the brain surgeon. Dr Torres followed carrying my notes on a clipboard.
'So, Dr Shepherd,' Dr Robbins said, smiling, 'This is Lola McCartney.'
'Hi,' he grinned, and I noticed he was quite attractive for an older guy. He must have cute kids. 'I'm Dr Shepherd, but call me Derek.'
I froze and stared at him, before looking frantically at Dr Robbins for help. I started breathing heavily and shook my head hard.
'Lola! Lola, what is it?' Dr Torres had flung her notes at Dr Shepherd, 'Calm down, just breathe. What is it? I can't help if you don't tell me.'
'Him, get him out, please! Please!' I whispered hoarsely through the tears I could no longer hold back, and pointed at Dr Shepherd. Derek.

So everyone, there you go, Chapter 2! Let me know if you have ideas for Lola's fate (although I think I know what's going to happen), and please give me feedback on my writing!
And let me know if my chapters need to be longer or shorter, there's nothing i hate more on this site than ridiculously short or long chapters. Thanks for reading and please vote!